Accident i Femundlopet

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Accident i Femundlopet

Postby tilstede2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:11 am

Referrring to the collision yesterday between a dog team and a car, the race marshall has published an article about the accident.
(For new readers -two of 8 dogs were hurt, but the injuries are not fatal.)

I will start translating the article now. Its quite long, and I am a slow translator, so be patient.

I find the article very interesting and very good, from a PR-professional viewpoint.
tilstede2

Re: Accident i Femundlopet

Postby tilstede2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:02 am

The dog team accident

A dog team was hit by a car saturday

Saturday appr. at 12:30 pm bib no 116 Øyvind Nordahl Naess and his dogs were hit by a car. This happened just after leaving checkpoint Femundsvika. Naess had 8 dogs in his team when he started on the leg. The accident happened while the team was crossing a road.

As the race marshall for F400 and on behalf of the arrangement organisation I am very sorry for the accident. It is very sad that incidents like this happens. Both the arrangement organisation, participants and audience feel sorry and give their thought to the musher and others involved.
We critizize ourselves for not checking the warning signs during the the day, especially since the weather was quite extreme during the morning hours saturday.

The race leaders was told about the accident ca, 13 pm and travelled immidiately to the accident spot. The crossing were secured and a veterinarian checked the dogs. The facts connected to the accident was registrated. It was found that the musher was physically unharmed, but that several dogs had been hit by the car. The veterinarians concludes that two dogs had been hurted, but that their lives were not in danger.

It was found that the warning signs on the traffic road had been buried by snow thrown up by the snow plowing machine sunday morning. It was also found that the race trail were correctly marked by warning signs about dangerous crossing ahead. Together with the race marshall were the technical delegate(TD) from The Norwegian Mushers Organization, veterinarians and two of the checkpoint staff. The TD, Anne Grete Saetrang, confirms that the warning sign was correctly placed at 5:30 am, before the snow plowing after the snow fall took place. The police is also by routine notified.

Changes made
Immidiately after the accident several things were done to control that all other crossings were properly marked and secured. All road crossings will be provided with additional warning signs.

The sign system for the trail is done according to a sign plan approved by the national road authorities. The sign system were presented to the mushers before start,to make them aware that there are dangerous crossing points and how these are marked. It was made especially clear and demonstrated the appearance of the marking of dangerous spots along the trail and how these signs are functioning.

Further actions
We will be in contact with the musher and will also adress the issue on the evaluation meeting for the mushers after the race has finnished. The purpose is to find out how the signing procedures can be improved in later races.

Lack of information on the Internett

The race leaderboard were under and after the accident on the trail, and had, in addition, technical problems with the race site. Because of that, the information about the accident were published on the Internett in cooperation with the local newspaper Arbeidets rett. The musher involved in the accident, who is employed as a press photographer in VG (largest norwegian tabloid), chose to publish his version via VG, who put the story on top on their web site.

This caused enormous traffic to the Femund site, which is not calibrated to such a large traffic. Both the web editors and our audience on the site experienced large problems all saturday when accessing the site.

Tomas Lillehagen
Race marshall F400

Read interview with the car driver here (Arbeidets Rett) (norw. text) http://www.retten.no/femundlopet/article3323665.ece
Read interview with board director Harry Skancke here (Arbeidets Rett) (norw. text) http://www.retten.no/femundlopet/article3323210.ece
Read article about the accident in VG– With the mushers version and photos (norw. text) http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=510456
Last edited by tilstede2 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
tilstede2

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:50 am

I find that all things considered, the race marshall has handled this well.
It's a shame that it happened, but atleast noone was killed.

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:51 am

Thanks Tilstede
...your translation is infinitely better than mine. ;) Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

So sorry this happened and at the same time glad no deaths occurred. It seems like the race officials are using this as a learning experience.

daniel
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby dilli » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:32 am

Ditto to what TSFR said .. Great job translating, Tilsted! Thank you! You're hired by popular acclaim to provide Iditabuddy translating services during the Iditarod as needed! :)

I wish the two injured dogs full and fast healing .Lots has been learned to prevent such an unfortunate situation from happening again in the future.
We've got treats
dilli

Postby sc-race-fan » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:16 am

I second the hiring. The translated report was very readable. Tilstede you've got the job in my book. Thanks for keeping us "english only" readers informed with "official reports", and I wish a speedy recovery to the dogs.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby Another UK Fan » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:10 am

I third the hiring. Thanks Tilstede. You're a star. And I wish all good things now for the dogs and all involved.
Another UK Fan

Postby tilstede2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:17 am

Thank you all, you're such a wonderful audience :-)
But I owe to tell you that the translation business to a great extent is done due to pure egoistic reasons. I need to practice my skills in english :-D

Anyway; sharing is fun.
Just post links to text you want translated, and I'm sure I or one of the other norwegians will pick it up :-)
tilstede2

Postby Heidi » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:01 am

:shock: This is awful, but I guess it could've been so much worse. Glad it appears everyone (including the dogs) will be okay after a little recuperation.
Heidi

Postby dilli » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:20 am

Has anyone published what the two dogs specific injuries were? Will they be able to race again in the future? Thanks
We've got treats
dilli

Next

Return to Mushing Talk