Starting Position

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Starting Position

Postby Quadsquad » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:01 am

Just checked out the starting order, and several of the probable contenders are going to have to get around a lot of slower traffic early in the race. Paul Gebhardt is bib # 69, Rick Swenson is #61, Kjetl Backen is #42. Question is, how hard do you go to get to the front? The more teams there are in front of you, the better the chances of picking up the dreaded "bug" or getting caught up in a mess on the Steps, etc. It's a long race, but can starting position still have an effect on the finish? I think so.
Quadsquad

Re: Starting Position

Postby Moose » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:26 am

I would imagine it has to. That's why I was waiting so long to post my picks. In the end, though, the start order was so late and so confusing, I threw caution and the stats into the wind and went for "logical/illogical". A mixed bag. Too many contenders this year to make the selection easy. Ya gotta love this race. :D :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Return to Mushing Talk