Photo Album of the Days of Ole'

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Photo Album of the Days of Ole'

Postby Frozen Chosen » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:54 am

Dashdel, if you don't mind, I'm putting these in as the start of a new thread. This thread is a long-time in coming and one that's way past overdue. if any one has pics that harkens to that/those days, this is the place to post and reminisce.

Dashdel.jpg

Nenana140.JPG

Thanks to Dash, these pics harken to a day long past. It isn't quite the days of ol', (it may be for some), however, it whets the lips of memory, and feeds the desire for a day long past...and indeed, it's a day long past these photos of dashdel's, and a day long past the former Minnesotan, the musher/miner who we know as the winningest Iditaroder, and the one who the current champ is attempting to beat. what is this man's name, the one above standing so non-chalantly and so confidently next to a sled? Where did he come from, and where is he headed? These are questions of a time long past...

Frozen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Re: Photo Album of the Days of Ole'

Postby Di* » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:47 pm

Why that would be Rick Swenson Frozen, my he looks young here! ;) :)
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby arcticcircle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Di* wrote:Why that would be Rick Swenson Frozen, my he looks young here! ;) :)

That looks like his famous leader Andy in front.
arcticcircle

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:54 am

5059252_55045_original_standalone_prod_affiliate_7.jpg

Rob Stapleton photo, Anchorage Daily News archive.

Taken from: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2464429/posts

Probably the most famous Idit photo, but the one of Riddles on her way to a win is a close second. Is that the "Swing Man" with Dashdel's cap, or the other way around? I was no more than 25 feet away when this shot was taken (not by me). Notice ***** Mackey's bib #. That could be the most recognized number in mushing circles. I remember that day almost as clear as a spring day along the Idit trail...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby Moose » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Awesome photo. Is that just a bedroll of some sort folded up on the sled? Saw a similar thing on Swenson's sled in Dashdel's photo. Racing sleds and equipment have seen some changes over the decades, but it's still all about a team of dogs and their human moving along the trail. Timeless.

I'd love to see more of these historic pics if folks have them to post. The stories that go along with them are appreciated, too.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Moose wrote:Awesome photo. Is that just a bedroll of some sort folded up on the sled? Saw a similar thing on Swenson's sled in Dashdel's photo. Racing sleds and equipment have seen some changes over the decades, but it's still all about a team of dogs and their human moving along the trail. Timeless.

Very keen eye Moose, that you have. What's that phrase, "familiarity breeds blindness" or whatever. Those of us that grew up around sleds and dogs since the 50s, 60s, and early 70s have seen the evolution of technology and the utilization/incorporation of that in day to day life. In the 50s all thru the early 70s, a canvas tarp made of heavy cotten fabric was used to keep supplies dry and in one place on a sled. It was very heavy material and even heavier when wet. Then, sometime in the early 70s, they came up with polyurethane or propelene.

The first 2-4 Iditarods, the heavy cotton canvas was used. It looks like Mackey, in his one second win in '78, is using one of the first poly tarps to come out. They were as light as they are now. The first ones didn't have eyelets. In 78 and maybe thru the early 80s, mushers used the light tarps (which have always been blue as far as I can remember). They were using the latest technology then, but were still folding it over the ends and sides and using long, long rope to tie the supplies from one end of the sled to the other, which it looks to be like Mackey and Swenson did.

When Libby came, almost outa the blue, to win in 85', she had a zippered tarp. I remember that, because she said in that Shaktoolik flats storm she got hit by, she mentioned that all she did was "zipper herself into the sled", thereby ensuring her front runner status while all the big boys were hunkered down in warm, cozy homes in Shaktoolik. She woke up the next morning, took out a peice of chocolate, gulped it down with a glass of seal oil (an extremely heavy dose of energy!), and went on to become the first woman...you know the story...One wonders how she would have weathered that bad Bering Sea hit if all she had was rope and heavy canvass..., which by the way another musher, the famous Shishmaref Cannonball had, when he hit the same type of storm in the same area, ultimately ceding to the winner (was it that other Mackey?), which was back in the early 80s.

Well, by the time Butcher came along and started winning, they were using velcro to seal their loads.
You also notice the heavy bib overalls Mackey and Swenson are wearing, and Dashdel's carhartts. By the late 80s, early 90s, mushers started wearing lighter snowsuits, and before you know it, Dee Dee and Susan are color coding and matching their clothing and sled covers. This is altogether another story...But Moose, gotta give it to your keen observation.
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby arcticcircle » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:40 pm

arcticcircle

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:38 am

wow great photos!

some real memories and some history making shots. i love the old photos and stories.

a bit off topic, frozen, do you have any stories, knowledge or pics of kayaking in the days of old in alaska, do you know...as the kids always say when i ask who invented the kayak, mr kayak... does a mr kayak exist????

matty
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:42 am

tanglefoot wrote:a bit off topic, frozen, do you have any stories, knowledge or pics of kayaking in the days of old in alaska, do you know...as the kids always say when i ask who invented the kayak, mr kayak... does a mr kayak exist????

matty

Yes, indeed he does, Tangles, be a bit patient, and I'll tell the story...

But first, AC, that's great footage of early Ak. That one sledge in the video parade in Nome, the 73' Idit had mushers rivaling the size of that sled!
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:44 am

oooh frozen! you got me all excited now haha.... hey you want to meet up in the chat room?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Next

Return to Mushing Talk