Photo Album of the Days of Ole'

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Photo Album of the Days of Ole'

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:45 am

tanglefoot wrote:oooh frozen! you got me all excited now haha.... hey you want to meet up in the chat room?

Maybe in a couple hours, ok? anyone else wanna join?
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:49 am

haha no worries, is anyone else around at the moment? i know its quiet at the moment. whens the next group chat?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Moose » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Incredible old film! Thanks, AC! Great find. Some people put a lot of effort into their sled creations. I wish there was some way to slow the film down so that each "sled float" could be checked out more closely. The whole thing reminds me of the block parties held in the old neighborhood of my youth in Massachusetts. They were summer events, so no snow. But the moms and dads would decorate bikes and strollers with crepe paper, ribbons, and the like. Prizes were awarded for the most elaborate get-up. . .and some were definitely elaborate. Alas, no igloo bikes or umiak strollers as seen in the dogsled parade. ;)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby dashdel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:00 am

I thought of starting a tread like this Frozen and I am glad you did... I had one of the best times in those days. Living in the bush and experiencing what I did and with who I did it with. Just wish it lasted longer.
Anyway this pic was one of my first encounters with mushing. The first was the pic of Rick and ***** finishing like they did in 78 ( which I was right there too) in which this picture was taken of one of the back of the pack in that race but for bad picture quality i can't seem to see the bib number. But as you were there too Frozen you might have sharp enough eyes to see who it is. But look at the surroundings of the old buildings of those days......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dashdel

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:25 am

Boy Dash, you got my memory chip spinnin' like no one ever has...I have to look long and hard to see if i can recognize the musher Dash, but I do know the buildings very well. That reddish brown building at immediate left is the "old" theater. Remember this was taken back during the good ole' days for some of our younger fans, back in 1978. That building is called the Nomerama Nicolodeon, but was called the Nomerama Theater from when i was there in the mid 60s to late 70s. I cut my teeth on all the good flicks there: the good the bad the ugly, dirty dozen, goodbye mr chips, something fields (starring S. Poiti-aye and who was it, hepburn?) , etc.

The next building, with the funny roof front, was where my dad used to cash his checks back in the late 60s to early 70s. My dad never had a bank acct, and never stepped into a bank. You could cash your check at this local hardware store (for no fee back then!), which is the building next to the theater. I bought my lumber at this place for my cabin I built about 70 miles northwest and inland of the burled arch.

The next building, the large beige-whitish one, is the Old Federal Building. It has been turned into a market place, with telecommunications like GCI (sound familiar?), a pizza place, subway (the long-tubed sandwich franchise that maybe you foreigner never heard of), a bank, etc. It was an abandoned building until the late 70s, when all these shops came in. JohnC's kids did their Iditarod class/news cast from inside there (remember when i did my Inupiat dance?) It was the Iditarod that revived that building! Nome was a "dying" ole' gold rush town in the late 60s, early 70s. Then, one spring day, in March of 73', a dogteam made it's way down Front Street. I remember that day as clear as today is...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby dashdel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:46 am

I remember those days too Frozen. My Aunt had a burger joint downtown as well.... Here is another one looking to the north heading out to Teller I believe taking a right after the burled arch from front street. I remember the plywood store/ laundry mat that we used to shop at and take our cloths to. This is my Alaska gold days in Nome.... I used to have a bunch more just need to try and locate. My Sis had a lot of them I was in the process of squiring but lost them all in a fire this last winter.

I will keep your memory going just as long as I can find them...........That was a cold winter too in 78...... especially in the thaw fields.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dashdel

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:50 am

keep em coming guys, loving the old pics. hopefuly in the not to distant future i'll get to see them for real.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:47 pm

tangles, if my current project works out, you won't even have to leave cotswold, i'll bring you here to the Ak from right in your living room, or better yet, if I can work out some kinks, you'll be on your dogsled going thru sherwood forest, but it'll be like your crossing the farewell or anywhere you'd like along the trail here. For a few thousand dollars more, i can get you competing against the mack, wilmarth, or anyone you like...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby dashdel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:58 am

Sounds interesting Frozen... Xbox, or WII or PS3????
dashdel

Postby Frozen Chosen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Dash, your entering into highly classified stuff now as i am still working on the patent. but once you see the brand name of the product, you'll know exactly what it is.
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk