Photo Album of the Days of Ole'

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Photo Album of the Days of Ole'

Postby dashdel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Keep me posted frozen. Need any investors????
dashdel

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:25 am

well i hope to be there myself on the trail, but in the mean time.... idita-vertual-musher would be just fine hahaha ( have i guessed right?)

any stories on the kayaking front? who invented it, mr kayak? im dying to hear the stories hee hee
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Moose » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:13 am

The street in the last photo looks pretty much the same today. Probably some new details--like Airport Pizza on the left just beyond the gas station. The trading post/grocery store is on the right, across from Airport Pizza, and is likely new or at least expanded since the photo was taken.

It's not shown in the photo, but off the street to the right, across from the gas station is a beautiful old church. In March there were snow sculptures there in the yard and an art/craft show going on inside. There were some beautiful things there and some warm and friendly folks.

So, keep those pics coming. They're generating great memories--old for some and new for others!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Heidi » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:01 am

I love this thread and all the old pictures!! :) Thanks for starting it FC.
Heidi

Postby fladogfan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:47 am

Yes Moose, sure looks much the same today. On the left corner is a large house where a couple of Iditabuddies stayed. And up that side street to the left, is a wonderful store, housed in a doublewide trailer, interesting old gentleman runs it. The store has a great supply of furs--beautiful furs and craft items needed to make a lot of Alaskan things, clothes and jewelery. It also has a lot of items from Russia, I got a beautiful tea cup. He also has BOOKS that I can't find in sunny Florida, go figure, so a couple of those made it home with me also. Now back to the street, if you turn around, the Nugget Inn would be in view. That's where the Mooses' and I stayed.

Sure hope to get back there some day!
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Moose wrote:It's not shown in the photo, but off the street to the right, across from the gas station is a beautiful old church. In March there were snow sculptures there in the yard and an art/craft show going on inside. There were some beautiful things there and some warm and friendly folks.

There's a good reason the old church wasn't there: it's because it really wasn't there in 1979. It was moved there sometime in the late 80s or 90s. It was located on the "back side" of town (northcentral part) for many decades. It was build by the catholic church and moved there sometime back in the 50s or 40s. What was there in that lot where the church is now was the elementary, junior high, and high school. The siren that used to greet mushers arrival was atop this school.
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby Heidi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:40 pm

more pics, more pics...please! :D
Heidi

Postby dashdel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am

Rest in peace Joee....
dashdel

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:58 am

Unfortunately, I met Joee late in life (just 2-3 yrs ago at the Anch start and banquet). For the very short time I spoke with him, to me, Joee is Inupiat! We Native Alaskans along the northern coast have as our identity the term "Inupiat". This means "the real deal ppl"! And you know, Joee was the real deal!
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:06 am

Dashdel, are you still in Florida and hope everythings ok with you down there...

Phil K
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk