recipes: 2008

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

recipes: 2008

Postby deafcat » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Here's the matzo ball recipe from my hubby!

beat 1 egg very well with a tiny pinch of salt and 2tbsp schmaltz (that's rendered chicken fat), or if you'd rather, veg. shortening, but it changes the taste and texture)

stir in 1/2 cup fresh matzo meal

add 2tsp chicken stock

some people add a little dried parsley

refrigerate at least 1/2 hour

form walnut to golf ball sized balls with wet hands and drop into rapidly boiling salted water. You can boil them directly in your chicken soup, but they absorb A LOT. Serve in very hot, clear chicken soup with carrots and parsley.
deafcat

Re: recipes: 2008

Postby cat » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:19 pm

Alaskan Salmon Fajitas

Stir-fry sliced green bell peppers & sliced yellow onions.

Add Alaska red salmon, skinned & cut into chunks.

Stir-fry until salmon is cooked, but not overcooked.

Serve in warm tortillas with salsa.

Yum!
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:16 pm

Eskimo Fry Bread (my ma's!):

Also called Navajo Fry Bread, Alaskan Sourdough Fry, or Frozen's Quick Mix

3 cups regular white flour (you can substitute flour of your choice)
1 cup sugar (of your choice)
2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
I cup milk, or as needed for right texture, etc.

Mix all this in appropriately sized bowl. Mix real good, ma would say, like you would regular bread dough.
Knead like regular bread dough and make into any size, shape you desire. Ma preferred common donut shape.

Cook in frying pan about half full of any oil you so desire. First bring oil to very hot, near boil, then fry dough until appropriately brown. Eat with tea, coffee, friends. In the early days, my mother used seal oil, which made for a very rich, wild taste!
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby mamamia » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:27 am

This one is really easy and will feed a crowd making it a perfect race time recipe to silence the hungry hoards who keep insisting you get up from your computer and feed them. I developed this when I was looking for something I could put into the crock pot that would be ready when we got home from church at around noon. We call it simply "Brunch"

1 pound ground sausage
1 dozen eggs
1 box or bag of seasoned crutons (I like garlic herb) around 6 ounces
2 cups shredded cheese (pick your favorite... buy it pre shredded in the bag to save time)
1 cup of milk
1 crock pot liner (trust me! These things are wonderful and make the cleanup a breeze!)

Brown the sausage in a skillet and pour the grease off
crack the eggs into a bowl and beat well
either spray the crock pot with no-stick spray or insert the liner
arrange the crutons on the bottom of the pot
pour the milk over the crutons
arrange the sausage on top of the crutons
pour the beaten eggs on top of all this
top with the cheese.. be generous!

Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3 1/2 hours... no peeking under the lid!
serve immediately... its great hot but not good cold. We also like to offer diced fresh tomatos on the side when you can get them or salsa when you can't get good tomatos.

Feeds 5 hungry people. With a few more eggs it can be stretched to 6 or 7.
mamamia

Postby sc-race-fan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:39 am

Here is a easy No cook banana pudding recipe, I got from a boy scouter friend years ago.
Ingredients:
Box of Vanilla Wafers
16oz container of "Cool Whip" (whipped topping)
8 oz container of sour cream
4 bannanas
large box of instant Jello Banana pudding mix
Milk for pudding

In a large bowl, mix instant pudding according to directions (add milk & stir!!)
Add whipped topping to bowl and blend, add sour cream to bowl and blend
Slice bananas in to rings
Layer in a dish : (like making a lasagna): thin layer of bananas, layer of pudding blend, layer of wafers, layer of bananas, pudding ,wafers, etc. till the pan is full or you run out of stuff!!
Refrigerate.
Serve and get out of the way..
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:39 am

Mamamia, that's fat-free right? ;) :lol:

It does sound good though.
Heidi

Postby mamamia » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:02 am

Oh yeah! Absolutely fat free! Won't clog your arteries a bit! :mrgreen:
mamamia

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:07 am

mamamia wrote:Oh yeah! Absolutely fat free! Won't clog your arteries a bit! :mrgreen:

Yeah, just what I thought! :D :D
Heidi

Postby sc-race-fan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:23 am

You can try to use the Fat Free whipped topping and the Fat Free sour cream and sugar free pudding if you want too, I just won't guarantee the flavor!! Went back and realized you were talking about the Brunch not the pudding, but try the fat free if you want to!! :D :D
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:34 am

sc-race-fan wrote:You can try to use the Fat Free whipped topping and the Fat Free sour cream and sugar free pudding if you want too, I just won't guarantee the flavor!! Went back and realized you were talking about the Brunch not the pudding, but try the fat free if you want to!! :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: It just might work sc. But I think I like your version better! :D
Heidi

Next

Return to Mushing Talk