recipes: 2008

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: recipes: 2008

Postby aren » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:40 am

How can you guys have time to make all this fantastic food in the middle of the race ;) :D :D I hardly have time to eat even when my wife is prepearing the meals :D :D ... the recipes sure looks deliouces though.... ;)
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:46 am

Is anyone cooking? I thought we were just TALKING about food! :lol: :D :lol: You know what they say: Behind every good sled dog race fan is someone else in the household doing the cooking! 8-)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:48 am

aren wrote:How can you guys have time to make all this fantastic food in the middle of the race ;) :D :D I hardly have time to eat even when my wife is prepearing the meals :D :D ... the recipes sure looks deliouces though.... ;)

We multi-task! Stirring with my left hand and typing with my right! :P :lol: :lol:

But seriously, during race time, there's a lot of takeout at my house. The food bill multiplies four-fold! :shock: :shock: Luckily, there's only two of us!!!
Heidi

Postby mira » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:04 pm

'Svele' is something like a cross between norwegian waffle and crepes or something... Very tasty, eat with jam and sour creme or just sugar and butter or something else :)

4 eggs
1.5 dl sugar
1 tsp sodium bicarbonate (E500)
1 tsp salt of hartshorn (E503)
1 l kefir
6-7.5dl flour

Mix it all together (stiring) and leave the batter to swell for 30-60 minutes.
Use a pan (if you use non-stick then there's no need for any grease/fat) and pour a small cup of batter in (typically it's about 12-15 cm wide). When the surface has big bubbles, turn it.

This recipe is quite big, I think you will get something like 20-30, but you can put them in the freezer.

Hmm.. and about measurements, according to google, 1 US cup = 2.36588237 dl, but I really wouldn't know :)
mira

Postby tilstede » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:14 pm

My Kitchen King is very sweet to me during Iditarod. When I told him that Iditarod was launching, he replied that "OK, then I'll enter the kitchen."
tilstede

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:42 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: You have someone to cook for you? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

my hubby will "hunt and Gather" a pizza or some other take out, but basicly I make big pots of whatever and we eat it till it's gone, or I scroung in the freezer for mystery packs. Tonight I found a serving of very spicey chili, yum. might have to cook tomorrow :? :roll: ;)
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Di* » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:44 pm

Hey FDF, if you're not too tired come join us in the forum....
Di*

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:32 am

tilstede wrote:My Kitchen King is very sweet to me during Iditarod. When I told him that Iditarod was launching, he replied that "OK, then I'll enter the kitchen."

Well, I have my Kitchen QUEEN that may think I am too obssessed, but who cares, right? at least i've got 5 day old food in the fridge available.
:o :roll: :shock:
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:40 am

its the iditabuddy cook book! :D :o :shock: :o :shock: :shock: :? :mrgreen:
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby sc-race-fan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:50 pm

OK, for those who want one.
Tater tots Casserole
INGREDIENTS
• 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 pinch ground black pepper
• 1 (32 ounce) package tater tots, thawed
• 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
• 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
• 1 (6 ounce) can French-fried onion rings
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large skillet cook ground beef with onion, salt and pepper; drain and spread into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Add tater tots; mix cream of mushroom and cream of celery soup together and pour mixture over dish. Top with onion rings.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk