Discovery Team Gizmos

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Discovery Team Gizmos

Postby CynCyn37 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:54 pm

He said he was miked up at the start. Maybe so.... I hope so!!!
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby tranquilis » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:15 pm

Lance? Oh, I hope so! That'd rock!
tranquilis

Postby Johncn » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:27 pm

Hey There,

There are two somewhat similar but different things at work. One is the list of mushers with GPS tracking, and then the list of Discovery Channel IditaStars wired for both video and sound the entire trip. The list of GPS mushers is much larger, I believe.

From an earlier thread, the Discovery mushers are rumored to be:

2 are professional...one male & one female
2 are rookies
1 is from another country
1 was a rookie last year

http://mushing.bssd.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

So anybody know which are the names of the IditaStars?

2 Professionals: 1 Male ? / 1 Female ?
2 Rookies: Rick Holt & ?
1 Foreign Musher: ?
1 Rookie Last Year: Sigrid I've heard ??

Pardon me if this is old news, but been a bit busy with the crew, and not keeping up as much as I'd like. I'm HOPING someone can clue us in before we go live tomorrow at 8:00 a.m ;-)

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby boo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:56 pm

Just to clarify....Joe and Rach are NOT being covered by Discovery CHANNEL, but by Discovery Films....different entity. The film crew following Joe and Rach's adventures are doing a feature-length, for-theatre-release production, probable premiere at Cannes Nov. 2009. Vikram Jayanti is the award-winning filmaker behind this endeavor. He won an Academy Award for his documentary When We Were Kings.

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stories ... 4255.shtml
boo
boo

Postby Heidi » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:25 pm

boo wrote:Just to clarify....Joe and Rach are NOT being covered by Discovery CHANNEL, but by Discovery Films....different entity. The film crew following Joe and Rach's adventures are doing a feature-length, for-theatre-release production, probable premiere at Cannes Nov. 2009. Vikram Jayanti is the award-winning filmaker behind this endeavor. He won an Academy Award for his documentary When We Were Kings.

Sweeeeeeet!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Thanks for that scoop Boo!!! :D :D :D

I imagine Rachael and Joe will get to go to a bunch of cool film premieres too! :D

Edited: I just read that article. Wow! I didn't know Joe Runyan was 59! Not that that's old, but I just thought he was much younger.
Heidi

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:44 am

this all looks like the same kit they put on the sled for me when we did the tv thing here this season if anyone remembers it from the cabs site (RIP). the camera guy i was talking to about it was showing me the kit, very robust but the mountings are prone to moving about so expect lots of this is what the sky looks like or this is my left bunnyboot haha :D . it can get worn with lots of jolting about and begin to move. its really cool stuff, we were looking into it for using in training so we can annalize what the dogs are doing and how we can improve. cool stuff. :ugeek:
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:53 am

2 are professional...one male & one female
2 are rookies
1 is from another country
1 was a rookie last year

That's right! she was tormenting us with clues! I guess we will just have to wait and see :lol: :roll:
mamamia

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:56 am

As there was only one rookie last year, and that was Sigrid, we are now left with 1 male pro and 2 rookies.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:07 am

As there was only one rookie last year, and that was Sigrid

Me thinks the pretty Norse lady with the charming smile has blinded you MW. There were quite a few rookies last year. :lol: :lol: :lol:
mamamia

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:36 am

Hehe. I know. I'm biased. :D :D
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk