Discovery Team Gizmos

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Discovery Team Gizmos

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:40 am

boo great interview with joe on the sled dog podcast show....

http://www.vbs20.com/sleddogpodcast/
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby mira » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:27 pm

I can't see that anyone has posted this URL (norwegian)

http://www.adressa.no/sport/article1041465.ece

The second picture shows Discovery mounting stuff :)
(The caption is something like this: "Discovery Channels crew mounts the little camera which are going to film Sigrid's hours to Nome')

In the article in only says that she is one of six mushers. (And the rest of the article is just about that the race have started, and I think we kind of knew that :)
mira

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Does this mean Sigrid is wired and carrying tech stuff for two different projects?
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Apparently so.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby mira » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:42 pm

If you mean GPS (as one) and the Discovery Channel production (as the other), then yes. It is confirmed in the article.
mira

Postby tilstede » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks for the link, Mira!
tilstede

Postby dilli » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:30 am

;) :D 8-)

Partial quote from very interesting Hollywood Reporter article that was published today
Hee .. as Frozen Chosen would say, "to be continued" ...
Source ink:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3ifff588c2bae9eaff53390dfc63c99fc8

Discovery picks up series on miners, Iditarod
By Kimberly Nordyke

March 19, 2008

Discovery Channel has greenlighted two series from the producers behind its hit show "Deadliest Catch," one of which centers on Pennsylvania coal miners and the other on contestants in a sled-dog race. ...............

Meanwhile, production has wrapped on the tentatively titled "Iditarod," a six-part series being eyed for a late-summer premiere. The hourlong series follows eight teams in the annual Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race -- a 1,151-mile race that takes place over two weeks each March in the subzero Alaskan wilderness.

Beers said that cameras followed eight of the 85 teams that competed this month, and as luck would have it, "we got the winner." He said he's actually been interested in doing a show about the race for some time.

"But we had to wait until technology caught up," Beers said. "We couldn't use ordinary cameras. We had to use something that would be light enough so it wasn't weighing down the sleds."

Ford emphasized that neither series has been scheduled yet but noted that "Coal" might be a good pairing with "Dirty Jobs," while "Iditarod" could work well with Discovery's adventure-themed programming.

Original's credits include Discovery's "Monster Garage" and History Channel's "Ice Road Truckers" and "Ax Men."
We've got treats
dilli

Postby RMB » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:17 am

Copy & Paste from Martin Buser's website:

http://www.buserdog.com/statpage/index.html

"The Discovery Channel will be airing an Iditarod Reality show similar to the Deadliest Catch. Martin had cameras on his sled and he was filmed in checkpoints. DeeDee, Martin, Sven, Lance and three others are the primary characters. Rohn is a secondary character. The 6 episode show will be aired in October. The camera crew feels very positive about the uniqueness of the show. We'll try to keep you posted!!!"
RMB

Postby eluciq_kennels » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:43 pm

I think the coolest part about this whole thing is that it is just not the FRONT runners that Original Productions(Discovery Channel) went after...it really seems like they tried to get a smattering of folks...and I actually think my guy is the one that had camera's on his sled that was furthest back in the standings...so placing #58 does mean something...giggle :)

This experience has been amazing...and I have tons of respect for my husband as he was asked to carry the cameras and battery pack along wtih the GPS unit...all this in his ROOKIE year. I think he sees this as an educational opportunity...you can never take the teacher out of him...I wish you all could meet him...he really truly is a dedicated and wonderful person!!!!! (okay can you tell i miss him...he gets home tonight)
eluciq_kennels

Postby CynCyn37 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:59 pm

eluciq_kennels wrote:I think the coolest part about this whole thing is that it is just not the FRONT runners that Original Productions(Discovery Channel) went after...it really seems like they tried to get a smattering of folks...and I actually think my guy is the one that had camera's on his sled that was furthest back in the standings...so placing #58 does mean something...giggle :)

This experience has been amazing...and I have tons of respect for my husband as he was asked to carry the cameras and battery pack along wtih the GPS unit...all this in his ROOKIE year. I think he sees this as an educational opportunity...you can never take the teacher out of him...I wish you all could meet him...he really truly is a dedicated and wonderful person!!!!! (okay can you tell i miss him...he gets home tonight)

Now, I really CAN'T Wait to see it :!: :!: :!: :!:

Have a Happy Reunion tonight! I bet it has been difficult for you. :cry: No worries, now!! :D
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk