Rohn Checkpoint #1

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Rohn Checkpoint #1

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:58 pm

It's a long haul from RP to Rohn, I'm certain most mushers will take their time and rest upon the trail. Might we perhaps see a woman named Sigrid first into Rohn?
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Re: Rohn Checkpoint #1

Postby Blinge » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:09 pm

That seems entirely possible. It seems Jeff King has joined Seavey by that little lake. Go Sigrid! :D
Blinge

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:25 pm

Or perhaps not. Seems Sigrid has decided to take a break at the exact same spot as Jeff and Mitch.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby sbd » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:29 pm

And somewhere up there is Jim Lanier without a GPS unit...
sbd

Postby boo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Anyone who knows that area better than I do, it appears on the GPS that they are showing the Rohn checkpoint BEFORE Dalzell Gorge.....and the little tag says it is 162 miles into the race....established mileage charts show Rohn checkpoint as at least 203 miles from Willow.....help, please. It almost looks like the trailbreaker is chillin' at the real Rohn checkpoint.....a Seavey, somebody who knows, need some clarification.....
boo
boo

Postby tilstede » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:36 pm

boo wrote:Does anyone who knows that area better than I do, it appears on the GPS that they are showing the Rohn checkpoint BEFORE Dalzell Gorge.....and the little tag says it is 162 miles into the race....established mileage charts show Rohn checkpoint as at least 203 miles from Willow.....help, please.

Does this help?:

Rainy Pass to Rohn
by Donald Bowers, Jr.

Quick Overview
This leg is not as long as the official mileage indicates. It is really only about 32 miles, and should take three and a half to five hours. It has some very tough trail, including the notorious Dalzell Gorge. Given a choice, most mushers prefer to do this during the day, although a nighttime run is entirely feasible, and with a bright moon can be ethereally beautiful. If possible, leave Rainy Pass Lodge so as to be at the summit of Rainy Pass about dawn (about a two or three hour run). If you do it in the afternoon, plan to be at the summit with at least two hours of daylight remaining.
tilstede

Postby boo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:39 pm

I don't think it does, because the terrain is all wrong. The Gorge is over a braided river, deep canyon and the checkpoint is up on the left side after the Gorge. I'm referring to Don's notes, too.
boo
boo

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Can anyone tell me what makes the gorge difficult to go through? Are there perhaps some images of the gorge around?
-exit body, exit mind-

MotorWerk

Postby mira » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:54 pm

MotorWerk wrote:Or perhaps not. Seems Sigrid has decided to take a break at the exact same spot as Jeff and Mitch.

Is that very likely? (I don't know that much about mushing :)
I was just wondering if there might be an area with bad connection with the satellites or other problems for GPS.

Aren't the GPS supposed to update each 15 minute? It's almost 30 minutes since the last update from Seavey's.
mira

Postby boo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:59 pm

Just had a funny thought....envisioned a tidy pile of those GPS tracker thingys alongside the trail..... :D
boo
boo

Next

Return to Mushing Talk