2008 Yukon Quest

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

2008 Yukon Quest

Postby MotorWerk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:04 am

The race starts Saturday - here are some news regarding the start.

First; Ava Lindner won the junior race. I bet her dad is impressed.
http://newsminer.com/news/2008/feb/04/lindner-claims-junior-quest-5-minutes/

Second; it might be a bit nippy for the mushers starting out from Fairbanks this Saturday.
http://newsminer.com/news/2008/feb/05/forecasters-predict-cold-start-yukon-quest/

...and; Quest fest (!) starts today.
http://newsminer.com/news/2008/feb/03/quest-fest-counts-down-race-day/

...and there might be some danger involved on Eagle Summit.
http://www.adn.com/mushing/story/299761.html
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Re: 2008 Yukon Quest

Postby Di* » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Thanks for all the links Motorwerk :)
I was just gonna ask if anyone knew what "roughlocking" was after reading some stuff on the Quest site only to find the answer on the Eagle link :lol:
With all the forum hopping, I haven't had much time to read up on the Quest so will have to get to it soon. Is it starting earlier this year? Probably just me!
Did you read on Hugh Neff's site that his Dad passed away just this Monday(I think)so he is flying in from Chicago and still has food drops to prepare, maybe a few dog runs and then to the starting line! Sounds brutal to me, hope he has a good race after all that....
Di*

Postby dilli » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:14 am

Di .. thank you for the head's up ... hadn't checked Hugh's site in a couple of weeks .. knew his dad was very ill, did not know he crossed over. :cry:

My heartfelt prayers, condolences and sympathy to Hugh and the Neff circle of family , friends and colleagues

So much going on .. I don't have enough time or energy to leapfrog around or post on all the forums :shock: can't even keep up with all the updated races related info overload flooding cyberspace

Race to the Sky and Yukon Quest starts in a couple of days. Will be rooting and cheering GO TEAM TANGLES GO on too :lol: 8-) :lol:

8-) <-- those aren't sunglasses .. those are the new dark husky mask rings under my eyes from serious sleep deprivation. ROFL.
We've got treats
dilli

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:56 am

hi , ok rough locking is when mushers wrap a section of chain or rope (mostly chain i think though) around the runners of their sleds to help slow them down :shock: on steep down hill :o sections of the trail, they also might unclip the tugs on the dogs harnesses but leave them connected to the neck lines on the gang lines so reduce the amount of pull on the gang line from the dogs even more. :idea:

boo, you must ahev some insight into this too?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Johncn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:28 am

Very cool info...I didn't know that. Thanks!

Is that commonly used in the Iditarod, or just other types of races.

Regards,

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby dilli » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:27 pm

Thought interested Iditabuds might like to check out Fairbanks News-Miner's Yukon Quest Guide at their leisure .

http://adserver1.harvestadsdepot.com/fairbanksdnm/ss/075301/
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Frozen Chosen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:56 pm

Temps the last few days across the Quest trail have been hovering from -40 to -55 (at least!). Currently it's around -40 down town Fairbanks. the starting line is right there on the Chena River next to First Avenue/Illinois/Cushman St. bridge. Here is a pic along my drive way this morning. Visible is the "ice fog" enveloping the area. Temps are -46F when this was taken half hour ago. I'll come back with pics of the starting line later today.

Frozen
Frozen-Driveway2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby MotorWerk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:06 pm

-46F, that would be, hm, -43(ish)C. That is pretty cold. I don't think I've experienced temperatures like that more than 4-5 times.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby tilstede2 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:17 pm

As I grew up in Finnmark (very north of Norway), I have experienced below 40 several times and for several days.
Temperature at that level are talking to you, constantly reminding you of it's presence.
We never played outdoors on those days, but were able to visit each other if living not far apart.

It's difficult to understand that it is possible to travel with dog teams for several days under such conditions.
Remember I felt sorry for those in 2007 (ex. Bjornar Andersen) taking the 24h layover way down in the fourties.
Don't remember the name of the cp, but it was a very remote one, without houses, only tents. Not very rest-friendly, and I think it stole a lot of energy from both the mushers and the dogs.
tilstede2

Postby Frozen Chosen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:04 pm

Tils, sounds like the cp was iditarod, you know, that far, distant place...once upon a time, only the Deg Xit'an Athabaskan lived there. They were maybe the first to travel the Iditarod, and the very name most likely came from them. there they snow-shoed, canoed (birch bark), traveling from area to area, searching for that elusive game...survival was a constant deal...temps dipped down deep, but they stayed within the warmth of their caribou skinned encampments and from the glowing embers of their fireplaces, the young ones looked up toward the distant stars as the northern skies staged the winter dance...the dance of the aurora...

frozen
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Next

Return to Mushing Talk