Takotna checkpoint #1

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Takotna checkpoint #1

Postby Another UK Fan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:34 am

just a quick check in - a big thanks to all of you for all the info. Helps to bring me up to date quickly. Got to go. Last appointment of the day......(can I get out it...? No!)

Cheeseburgers for tea sounds great. One less decision to make so can concentrate on this great race. See you later.
Another UK Fan

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:07 am

Neff pulled hook and is on the run... :shock:

daniel
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:14 am

pizza for tea for me..anyone want some hawaiian..yummy...
then its off to run dogs, :D even though there is a race on, theres still dogs to go run! fed them a fish ans kibble broth about an hour ad half or so ago so should be ready to head out soon! yipee! id say its about as cold here as there, dropping like a stone its about 2c at the moment here so should be a ncie run out under the stars... running my team during iditarod is amazing, its almost like being part of it in someway knowing there are guys out there on the trail and a couple thousand miles away im doing the same...one day we'll be there i hope!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Johncn » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:26 am

Hey All,

A little late, but here is last evening's APRN roundup, and includes Mackey out of Takotna info...by Libby Casey:

Lance Mackey leads Iditarod Out of Takotna
http://aprn.org/2008/03/04/lance-mackey-leads-iditarod-out-of-nikolai/

Podcast

Defending champion Lance Mackey has taken the lead in the Iditarod. He left the Nikolai checkpoint at 4:17 this afternoon. Norweigan Kjetil Backen was the first into Nikolai, and is still resting there. Gerry Willomitzer is currently in third place followed closely by Paul Gebhardt, Jeff King, Hans Gatt and Huff Neff. They are all at Nikolai.
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:05 am

thanks john...ok off to run the team out...anyone wanna come? got 2 spare seats and 1 spare box in the truck! hee hee!

catch you all up later on :D
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby MotorWerk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:03 am

Zack Steer and Ed Iten spent a few minutes at Takotna and then continued.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby mamamia » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:11 am

My goodness! It looks like Ed Iten has decided he has had enough of running in the soft, deep, broken down trail behind the leaders and wants to run up front for a while! Go Ed!

I was thinking this morning after seeing how much slower mushers are running only a few places off the lead and the comments about how quickly the trail conditions deteriorate that it might be a good idea for some of those a little further back to take the opportunity of the leaders 24ing to get some good trail and make up some time.

Fom what I've been seeing, only a few paces back in the pack can mean significantly slower trail times between checkpoints. We seriously need a cold snap to harden up the trail but mother nature always runs her own race and it is never the same 2 years in a row.
mamamia

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:21 am

Yeah! Well said, mama!

Steer and Iten in and out of Takotna. Posting fast speeds. I'm just smiling here. This is such fun to watch!

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:35 am

Looks like Martin Buser has blown through Takotna, too!

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:56 am

:D GOOOOOOOOOOO MARTYYYYYYYYYYY! :D
Di*

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk