Ophir Checkpoint #1

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Ophir Checkpoint #1

Postby mamamia » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:36 pm

I just finished reading Evy Gebhardt' blog. I Love her race analysis every year. She had this to say about Paul's lead dogs:

While he will have to see how he handles this level of competition, Paul is especially excited about the youngest member of the team, Lieutenant. He is really coming into his own as an upstart leader, and at a year-old he is actually Governor's son. (consider: Lieutenant Governor… the one who steps in to fill the shoes)

Then this:

He was exceptionally pleased with the group of 4 front-end dogs that he is calling his "heroes". He has found the combinations of Houston, Bear, Thor and Duke running in the lead and swing positions (the position just behind the lead dogs) to be positive for the momentum of the team. Houston is rock steady and keeps the team at a good pace.
mamamia

Postby CynCyn37 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Thanks Moose! Maybe I should hitch up a team and see if one of my favorite mushers could take me for a ride. hehehe

I can see it now: My dog: a 13 year old golden, my mom's dog: an overweight dalmation of undetermined age, my other mother's dog: a border collie who wants to be a sled dog, and my brother's dog: a weeny dog. What a sight that would make. That's enough entertainment for a few 24 hour breaks!!!!
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:33 pm

CynCyn37 wrote:Thanks Moose! Maybe I should hitch up a team and see if one of my favorite mushers could take me for a ride. hehehe

Lets see now.....who could that favorite musher be? ;) Thinking real hard here......could his last name rhyme with reff or something to that effect? HMMMM I'll have to think about that a while..... :lol: ;)
Di*

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:43 pm

A golden, a dalmation, a border collie, and a dachshund! A regular GPS (General Pooch Smorgasbord) dog team. I love it. :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby CynCyn37 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:45 pm

Di* wrote:
CynCyn37 wrote:Thanks Moose! Maybe I should hitch up a team and see if one of my favorite mushers could take me for a ride. hehehe

Lets see now.....who could that favorite musher be? ;) Thinking real hard here......could his last name rhyme with reff or something to that effect? HMMMM I'll have to think about that a while..... :lol: ;)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wouldn't know about that :oops: :oops: :oops:
CynCyn37

Postby deafcat » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Hey Cyn! Is our guy running a great race this year or what??? How silly was I to keep him in my top 11-15...

still a ways to go, though, and everything changes after the 24s, but I am really enjoying the Hugh clips on the insider right now!
deafcat

Postby CynCyn37 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:47 pm

Moose wrote:A golden, a dalmation, a border collie, and a dachshund! A regular GPS (General Pooch Smorgasbord) dog team. I love it. :D

I love the GPS!!!!! The border collie would lead.....now where to put the dachshund? The dalmation, referred to sometimes as a d*mnation would have to ride in the sled, b/c she doesn't like to move around much.
CynCyn37

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:49 pm

deafcat wrote:but I am really enjoying the Hugh clips on the insider right now!

No fair, I should be so lucky! Yes he is adorable.... :lol:
Di*

Postby CynCyn37 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:50 pm

deafcat wrote:Hey Cyn! Is our guy running a great race this year or what??? How silly was I to keep him in my top 11-15...

still a ways to go, though, and everything changes after the 24s, but I am really enjoying the Hugh clips on the insider right now!

Aren't the great??? Bout time they covered some other people. It seems like they have a few faves, but then the quest had fewer to cover!

I put him 2nd b/c I really want to see Lance make history and make the trifecta!!!!

Di, it's worth every penny!!!!! Sorry :cry: I just finally got DSL.
CynCyn37

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:54 pm

I'm happy for ya Cyn ;) Don't wear out the "play" button! ;) :lol:
Di*

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk