Thread: Who's the Leader?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Thread: Who's the Leader?

Postby Johncn » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:43 am

Hello,

I love the thread for each checkpoint, but thought we may also want to have a thread specifically for breaking news about the leaders of the moment.

For the actual latest standings, be sure to use the Official Iditarod Current Standings page, and the excellent 2008 EarthSLOT files.

So, post your breaking news, rumors and speculation here!

Note: As Breeze so accurately points out, it is way early to talk about who will WIN the race, but I was intending to just have thread to track the front group as things change, and the race develops.

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Re: Thread: Who's the Leader?

Postby tilstede » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:44 am

OK.
Is Mackey out of Takotna?
tilstede

Postby bourgeois_rage » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:45 am

Good point, John. It is always a trip trying to navigate all of the threads discussing checkpoints, trying to figure out who's on first.
My status
bourgeois_rage

Skype ID: bourgect

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:02 pm

Thanks John, handy link!
Di*

Postby Breeze » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm

LOLOL!!!!

Its is only just coming up on halfway ( and I personally regard Ophir as the halfway reference point). Ophir is where the northern and southern routes deviate, and I REALLY don't nitpick about exact mileage.

Regardlesss of who happens to SEEM first at this point, there is a loottaa race left to go, and the Iditarod is well known for handing anyone their hat at any time. Strategies about the 24 and 8 rests are crucial now and this is where it begins to narrow the field.

Rohn Buser is impressing the heck outta me, but I think he is waving bubbye to his Dad's tail-lights about now.

Its way too early for ME to be speculating about anything, I'll wait to see the traffic and weather at UNK.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby Johncn » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:22 pm

Hello,

Fresh APRN podcast (9:35 p.m. tonight) from by David Shurtleff in McGrath with a race update and Gephardt as current leader has been posted.

Gephardt Leads Iditarod for Now
http://aprn.org/2008/03/05/gebhardt-leads-the-iditarod-for-now/

Paul Gebhardt was the first musher out of the Ophir checkpoint this afternoon. He left at 12:52 p.m. and is now leading the Iditarod. Mitch Seavey is now in second place. But he was the first into Ophir at 10:00 a.m. this morning. He was followed into the checkpoint by Hugh Neff, Zach Steer, Ed Iten and Martin Buser. But it’s getting tricky to rely on the standings, as many mushers are taking their 24-hour layovers, including a handful at McGrath and Takotna.

Podcast

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby aren » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:44 pm

Thanks John for sharing this with us. :)
Interesting to hear Hugh Neff saying that "I am not in the competitive mode yet we are just travelling". I am not sure if I believe him. ;) Especially when I see that he was # 2 pushing on through Ophir at good speed.

aren
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Domer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:42 am

aren wrote:Thanks John for sharing this with us. :)
Interesting to hear Hugh Neff saying that "I am not in the competitive mode yet we are just travelling". I am not sure if I believe him. ;) Especially when I see that he was # 2 pushing on through Ophir at good speed.

aren

This is musher speak for "My dogs are doing really well and I am so stoked to be here!"
Domer

Postby carolynh » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:47 am

Re: Hugh Neff and musherspeak:

And the rest of the sentence after "I'm so stoked to be here" would be "and I don't want to jinx myself by saying how happy I am with how I 'm doing right now."

Carolyn H.
carolynh

Postby carolynh » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:58 am

As to who's really in the lead at the moment:
Here's my take on it. Lance, Kjetil and Jeff have all finished their 24's and reached Ophir, so I'd make them the top 3. Of those, Mackey's "24" was the longest because of his start position. Yet, the GPS shows him ahead of King and apparently about to overtake Backen.

So I'd say he's the leader at the moment, but there's still a lot of ground to cover before Nome.

Carolyn H.
carolynh

Next

Return to Mushing Talk