curious about the Target dog

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: curious about the Target dog

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:05 pm

Deafcat: Yeah, the Iditarod and baseball are where it's at! :mrgreen:

Happy2: Haha, Bobby Hull! Yep, that's an old-timer! ;) But it would be cool to meet him. Yes, I'm not too far from H-town, halfway between there and Galveston. I lived in Galveston for several years before fleeing the island after Rita. (Had roof damage.) Good old Hohokam, what a fun park! Spring Training is so different than the regular season, and people are more laid-back and friendly. Such a fun time. Oh, and it's much easier to meet the players too! :D
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:07 pm

Deerskin, your service dog is a husky? If you don't mind me asking, how does she(?) assist you?
Heidi

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:12 pm

anja is a german shepherd, what is sometimes refered to as a DDR GSD, from bloodlines that were preserved behind the iron curtain. her type GSD is more like the GSD of about 100 years ago, smaller, very compact and powerful. this is the kind that most police departments use now, in addition to belgian malinois.

to see my fat lil tank, here is my webshots page, with her album:
http://community.webshots.com/user/deer ... =community
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks so much for the pictures! She's so cute!! :D She's 6 years old now?
Heidi

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:35 pm

yeah, its so weird to realise that! had her since she was 18 months old...she was a schutzhund dropout of a sort before i got her. was in training for it, till she got to the point of bitework, then i think someone spooked her bad, because when i got her, she was jittery as hell. she still is very reserved with strangers, and prefers to avoid petting, and really avoids kids (they can literally fall on her and hurt her, but she does nothing, just doesn't like what she didn't grow up with), but is bar none the most intelligent and hardest working dog i have ever seen.

it would be very interesting to see what would happen if a musher were to try her out on a longdistance team...i have never seen her get tired, even when i have run her full blast around our 3/4 acre lot for a couple hours after a laser pointer. she has a solid steady pull in harness, even pulls those heavy old scooters from walmart if it isn't going fast enough to suit her, so shes pulling about 400 lbs total for several hours! so i've always wondered what she would be like on a sled team, prolly a good wheeler.
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby CynCyn37 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:15 pm

CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:22 pm

fantastic!

who is the driver? and where was the pic taken, do you know? is there a team hooked up?
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby JerseyGirl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:09 pm

There is a photo of the Target dog in the sled with the Teacher on the Trail at the Ceremonial Start. You will find it on the Official Site of the Iditarod, by clicking on the "For Teachers" section of their Home Page. The article by Diane Johnson dated 3/11/2008 is under the heading "/News for Educators/Jane Meets Bullseye". The photo is by Linda Kal Sander.
JerseyGirl

Location: New Jersey in my heart, Tennessee with our grandchildren

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:51 am

so the dog was in the sled through the ceremonial start/run out? hmm. guess the I'rod and city police didnt figure the 'half wild huskies' were a danger to him....either that, or they were hoping they would eat him!

talk about discrimination! :x
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk