curious about the Target dog

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: curious about the Target dog

Postby Happy2BeHere » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:50 pm

I thought Target Dog was an English Bull Terrier -- like the dog in "Patton". American Bulldogs are like Chance in "Homeward Bound" right? :?
Happy2BeHere

Postby deafcat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:52 pm

Well, maybe so. I thought the Patton dog (also the Black Sheep Squadron dog with William Conrad!) was an American Bulldog??

At any rate, he was in the sled!
deafcat

Postby deafcat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Happy, where in Chicago are you? I'm a California girl, but lived in Hyde Park for the best almost-10 years of my life. Two of my finest memories are of the final game at old Comisky, and opening day at New Comisky...
deafcat

Postby Happy2BeHere » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:11 pm

hi Deafcat -- I'm a "708er" actually -- Western burbs, straight out the Burlington Northern Line. How lucky you were to live in Hyde Park! I think it's the most beautiful part of the City. I don't get there often, but was there in June for my neice's graduation from U of C (brilliant girl!) It had to be the most abosolutely beautiful June day, and the Lake looked more like the Caribbean sea.

Comisky ay? Well now, I must admit I am more partial to that other place a little further north :P Now now, I love baseball! If you are from here you understand that your allegience to which ever team is determined before birth so ... we can agree on Da Bears right :D well, this wasn't exactly the best season, but we beat the Packers (she says, praying you are not a Green Bay fan).

Actually, it's funny you mention "New Comisky." With Sam Zell having bought the Tribune, and making it clear that both the Cubs and Wrigley Field are up for sale, the whole town is talking about what it might be renamed as. "New Comisky" is now US Celluar Field, affectionately know as "The Cell." Yikes! Oh well!

I'd be happy to send you some of our leftover snow -- we've had enough this year. The City and most of the towns around here (mine included) ran out of salt and had to go begging -- I think my Village actually found some in Ohio.
Happy2BeHere

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:18 pm

um, actually its a bull terrier...the american bull is a lot taller dog, and doesn't have the roman nose of the terrier. i've liked this breed since i first saw it in the old tv show 'baa baa black sheep'....the camp mascot, meatball, was a bull terrier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Terrier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bulldog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullseye_% ... Terrier%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baa_Baa_Bl ... _series%29
"Pappy" liked to drink and fight a lot when not flying missions, and owned a Bull Terrier named 'Meatball' (which he claimed to belong to General Moore in 'Flying Misfits', but General Moore said 'he wouldn't own an ugly mutt like that.')
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby deafcat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:19 pm

It'll always be Comisky to me (though the truth is , I was born a Giants fan). But I also came to love the Anaheim Angels while doing time in So.Cal. Another highlight of my life was being in "The Big A" for Game 7 in 2002! Here in Fresno we have a great Giants farm team in a very new, very nice park. I'm really learning to appreciate minor league ball!

I do miss the seasons. I wouldn't mind snow (my kids drove several hours today to find some to do some snowboarding), but I am very happy that I don't have to scrape my windshield in the morning!

Hyde Park is a special place. We left when my eldest was 5. Now a high school junior, she's considering the U of C, where she'd be 3rd generation!
deafcat

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:19 pm

Actually, the Patton dog and the Target dog are Bull Terriers.
The Homeward Bound dog, "Chance" is an American Pit Bull Terrier.
The Bulldog, or English Bulldog, is a muscular dog with a short muzzle.
You can visit almost any breed of dog, including hybrids, (yes, and the Alaskan Husky) at http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/index.htm
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Happy2BeHere wrote:Well now, I must admit I am more partial to that other place a little further north :P Now now, I love baseball! If you are from here you understand that your allegience to which ever team is determined before birth so ... we can agree on Da Bears right :D well, this wasn't exactly the best season, but we beat the Packers (she says, praying you are not a Green Bay fan).

I was going to Cubs games before I even knew what baseball was all about! So yeah, I'm a Cubbies fan too. :D I grew up in the NW suburbs. I've even gone to Arizona just for spring training! What fun!!! :D :D

I'm also a Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks fan...in that order. But baseball comes first. :mrgreen:
Heidi

Postby deafcat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:26 pm

Gosh, thanks for the info. about bull terriers and bull dogs, Deerskin and Flower! Is an American Staffordshire Terrier also a name for a pit bull? I guess my neighbor's sweetie is an American Bulldog. So confusing, but I'll get it straightened out. So many dogs, so little time.
deafcat

Postby deafcat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:28 pm

Hey Heidi,
Baseball and the Idtarod are the only team sports I follow! Never been to a football game, even in high school, though as a kid we saw the Golden State Warriors at the Oakland Colesium a couple times!
deafcat

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk