Helicopter crash

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Helicopter crash

Postby mithious » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:58 am

Another one in AK? where did you read that MotorWerk......we had plane problems Wednesday night....
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby MotorWerk » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:01 am

According to a Norwegian newspaper it was some TN reporters having a small crash with their plane when taking off from Fairbanks, I think it was. Nothing serious, no-one injured, and they were able to catch another plane quickly afterwards.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby mithious » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:17 am

Glad no one was hurt....the runways are aweful right now....we had to have our plane de-iced and then the engine had a valve stuck, presumedly from the ice, and we had to taxi back for repairs....spent and hour and a half on the plane BEFORE take off :shock: :shock: :shock:

phewwwww sooo glad everyone is OK!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the info :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Postby sbd » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:47 am

It is also on the TN page...
http://hurdal.com/124/ncms/main.php?M=avis&C=A&S=30&T=148&PFX=FP&ID=0&A=1838
They even mention a more serious crash in Takotna where the pilot broke his arm. The pasasengers were not hurt.
sbd

Postby mamamia » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:13 pm

Mith, you mentioned this on our funny thread but I thought I would move it here and ask for more details.

The Discovery helocopter crashed and ITC can't put the Insider reporters on the AirForce planes, they had to get a voucher to even fly this year, next year they will probably have to go with Penair or Alaska Air, the AF is grounded next year unless the ITC can pull a rabbit out of their hats.....that's going to be big $$$$$!!!

The AF had to get waivers just to fly this year.....they aren't supposed to fly ANY commercial flights and flying the reporters is just that...plus I guess from what I read there were other inconsistancies with the "volunteer" part vs commercial flights.....will have to wait and see how this all pans out....??????

What is this about the ITC having to get vouchers to even fly this year? Do you mean the Iditarod AF needs vouchers or II? Isn't II part of the ITC? Why can't they fly on the volunteer airplanes? What did you mean by the AF is grounded next year? Why did they have to get waivers this year? From whom? All of this is confusing me. The all volunteer Iditarod AF has bee servicing this race for many, many years. What is happening to muck this up?
mamamia

Postby mithious » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:36 pm

According to FAA regulations, the Air Force can ONLY volunteer....by flying the Insider reporters, the ITC and the Air Force violated the rules....thus the waivers to fly this year....plus, from what I understand, the fee's that they are charging the mushers for shipping their food drops, sleds, ect....is considered "payment"....the mushers pay way more to fly their stuff to the check points than what is needed to compensate the AF for their fuel, and stuff needed....in other words....the AF is getting paid, but in a round about way....there is more involved but, that seems to be the main "meat" that led to the AF being grounded next year and having to get waivers THIS year. If the ITC hadn't been able to obtain the waivers this year....the AF would've been grounded THIS year too.....atleast the FAA was nice enough to give the ITC a year to get their ducks in a row.

The ITC will have to work something out with the commercial air lines for next year, UNLESS, like I said, the ITC can pull a rabbit out of their hat....which in Alaska, the commercial airlines are; Penair, Alaska Airlines...$$$$$$.....I don't know how this all came about....I just read it somewhere and sorry but I forget where, maybe the "othe forum"?...you could call the FAA and get the exact info, as it is public knowledge, if you want the whole story behind it?

Bottom line, the ITC broke the rules of the FAA......
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

Postby mamamia » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Has the ITC always charged the mushers for the food drops? I thought they used to do it for free? All these years the ITC has been shipping things along the trail and now the FAA is having a problem with it? Is it because they decided to charge? I can understand having to get some reimbursement for fuel but it would be very disappointing to learn that they are overcharging and making a profit off of it.

There have also been reports this year of sleds not getting shipped to the checkpoints in time. This is the first year that I have heard of that happening. In one of the reports there was mention of someone other than the AF the musher had contracted to ship the sled. I thought this was also always done by the volunteer AF. Are the mushers having to look to other companies to ship their stuff?
mamamia

Postby tilstede » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:46 pm

Uffda ... is the commercial world coming to catch Iditarod?

Must say that the big picture I see from putting together the raised entry fee, larger purse, the web site policy and development, ITC forciing mushers to wear a gps etc. etc. scares me...
tilstede

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:49 pm

:shock: Me too Tils! Guess it was only a matter of time....
Di*

Postby mithious » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:26 pm

mamamia wrote:Has the ITC always charged the mushers for the food drops?

Yes mamamia...the ITC has always charged the mushers for shipping their stuff via the AF volunteers

I thought they used to do it for free?

I don't think so....I believe the mushers have always been charged...atleast as long as I have been following the race....

All these years the ITC has been shipping things along the trail and now the FAA is having a problem with it? Is it because they decided to charge? I can understand having to get some reimbursement for fuel but it would be very disappointing to learn that they are overcharging and making a profit off of it.

Yes, the AF has been flying the mushers stuff BUT the price the mushers are charged is more than what is needed to compensate for fuel and whatever else they need plus the ITC started using the AF to fly their Insider reporters...which is a big no no for a volunteer program...

There have also been reports this year of sleds not getting shipped to the checkpoints in time. This is the first year that I have heard of that happening. In one of the reports there was mention of someone other than the AF the musher had contracted to ship the sled. I thought this was also always done by the volunteer AF.

I didn't read that report.....the mushers did know about the problems, but remember, the mushers all sign some kind of agreement with the ITC....., it's public record, both the contract signing and the FAA descisions.....maybe the musher wanted to make sure their sled got there...just my guess though....on why the musher mentioned flew their sled another way

Are the mushers having to look to other companies to ship their stuff?

I don't know mamamia but I do know that, as of right now, the ITC will have to look into commercail flights for next year as they only have a pass/voucher to fly this year....
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk