Seasoned sled dogs & castoffs need basic care & our support

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Seasoned sled dogs & castoffs need basic care & our support

Postby Moonhuskygirl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:11 am

I know many of us are gearing up with anticipation for this years great race but it recently came to my attention that a special team of retired athletes need our help and attention. Please share, relay this info and support in whatever way you can.
I greatly admire people who can admit they are overwhelmed with the noble tasks they set out to do instead of trying to manage at the cost of their subjects and call out for help. It is obvious that Mike's top priority is the well being of these retired pups. Let's pull together and rally for these underdogs folks!

Thanks for reading & sharing & supporting, looking forward to getting back in the swing of things with familiar old faces and newbies alike;)

"Mike Ladan has been saving unwanted sled dogs for over two decades, but after spending months in financial distress, the overwhelmed animal rescuer has issued a cry for help.

The self-employed blacksmith says that business has been bad for a year now, and he can no longer provide for his 35 dogs. The Big Lake, Alaska resident is hoping that area rescue groups can help, but with shelters overflowing, help from afar will likely be needed.

Ladan’s first began rescuing dogs after he met a musher who was going to shoot her unwanted animals. He convinced her to let him take them, and has since developed a reputation as a savior of unwanted sled dogs.

But after years of caring for them, Landan is no longer in a position to do so. Some have pending health issues, and food is beginning to run low. Landan is in over his head, and says the last thing he wants is to see the dogs in his care suffering."

If you are able to assist in any way, please write to strawfordogsak@gmail.com or visit Straw For Dogs at 645 G Street, Ste. 100-1175.

I have a video from a news station but cannot post :/ it's a BIMvid video and cannot embed.

The chipin site;
http://strawfordogsak.chipin.com/senior-dogs

Site of Straw for Dogs the non profit org. assisting;
https://sites.google.com/site/strawfordogs/
Patience is a virtue I seem to be allergic to
Moonhuskygirl

Return to Mushing Talk