GOOD MORNING IDITABUDS

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: GOOD MORNING IDITABUDS

Postby JeanieB » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:18 am

Good morning. Looks like it is Joar's to lose, but stuff CAN happen. Look at Jessie Holmes moving up! I'm thinking there are some interesting 'races to the arch' in that pack somewhere! This race is so much fun to follow.
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 am

Alphashe wrote:While the norwegians think it's cool with Dallas leading thh FL (not any more, though), I'm sad to feel that there is a lack of enthusiasm ( to say at least) when Joar is up front. And I'm a witch so I can feel it across the Atlantic ;-) Interesting.

I have Joar on my TTP, in #5, always wanting Aliy to win :D - :( but no luck there this year, I will get my few points because of Joar :D :D

After rooting for Dallas to lose Iditarod for so many years, wanting Aliy to win ;) ;) , I find it hard to root for Dallas in Finnmarkslopet race. Neat if he wins, but personally, I'd rather have a Norwegian win.

A lot of Americans like to root for an underdog, and for many that was Nic. That might be why not as much enthusiasm for Joar at the moment. I will be very happy if/when Joar wins!!
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Tobi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:06 am

Alphashe wrote:While the norwegians think it's cool with Dallas leading thh FL (not any more, though), I'm sad to feel that there is a lack of enthusiasm ( to say at least) when Joar is up front. And I'm a witch so I can feel it across the Atlantic ;-) Interesting.

To Alphashe, there is no lack of enthusiasm here, just too superstitious to say anything out loud. I've been watching Joar since he started. He may be a hunky-punk on the outside (nice to look at!) but solid steel on the inside. Lots of common sense too I think. Feel the vibes I'm sending!!!
Tobi

Postby flowerpower » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 am

Not me! He's my #2 pick. ( I had to go with Aily for #1, I really thought it might be her year). GOJOARGO! :D :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:31 am

Same here. Aliy was my sentimental, she's tried so hard and come so close, let her win it this year pick. But Joar is my No. 2. Nic behind Joar in No. 3. So with Aliy out of contention, I'll be mighty pleased to see Joar first to Nome. (PS: I put Mitch down in 8th place.) 8-)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Alphashe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:52 am

Well, it was not my intention to "blame" anyone in here - more in general, in media/social media etc :-)
Alphashe

Postby adella » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:30 am

Pretty much agree with all previous comments. I have always wanted Ally to win. However I really am impressed with Nic and his relationship with his dogs. Still have way to go. Remember the year I went to bed thinking Jeff had won, woke up a couple hours later and on whim checked results. He had scratched and Dallas won. Not over until it is over. Go Nic!
Aim in life-to be the person my dogs think I am
adella

Postby Alphashe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:17 am

Dream on. From the witches back home ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9MWrfj5pns
Alphashe

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am

Love their voices. I watched/listened to a couple of other videos. So lovely.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 am

adella wrote:Pretty much agree with all previous comments. I have always wanted Ally to win. However I really am impressed with Nic and his relationship with his dogs. Still have way to go. Remember the year I went to bed thinking Jeff had won, woke up a couple hours later and on whim checked results. He had scratched and Dallas won. Not over until it is over. Go Nic!

I remember that year! Aliy into Safety, not finding Jeff, so worried because she had not seen him between WM and there. Turned out, a bad storm blew up, causing Jeff all kinds of trouble. Aliy was afraid he had been blown out to the open water. Jeff was afraid of that very thing happening. He and team hunkered down, Jeff finally started walking, came across a snow machine, the driver took him to WM where he scratched. Help went to gather up the dogs.

Aliy, fearing harm to her dogs in that storm took a break at WM. Dallas blew on thru and was almost caught by Aliy. Was that first year D won? He was surprised to be #1. Jeff and Aliy were in front of him when he left WM.

Did a search for "Aliy. bad storm, Safety" This list came up. For your reading pleasure, if you want.

search.php?keywords=Aliy+bad+storm+safety
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk