GOOD MORNING IDITABUDS

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: GOOD MORNING IDITABUDS

Postby mira » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 am

I always cheer on Martin, even though he isn't in my TTP. But there's a lot of other nice mushers not there as well.

And to wild blueberries, according to internet, they specie we have is called bilberry in english, or european blueberry.

Actually I think this snippet is a bit funny:
"In fact, outside the U.S. the bilberry is sometimes referred to as a blueberry. True blueberries, however, are native to the United States, whereas bilberries are native to Northern Europe and certain parts of North America and Asia. Both berries possess health-promoting antioxidant compounds, vitamins and minerals."

It's good to know that is only in US you have true blueberries, ours must be fake. They are quite good at faking though :D In Norwegian we call it blåbær anyhow (blå == blue, bær == berry).
I was trying to look up huckleberries, some of the images looks very similar to our fake blueberries also known as bilberries. Had to check, they are in the same family, Vaccinium, the wild type that is.

Here's a cup of blue-bil-berry-tea to all who wants it for breakfast! And all of a sudden, I really wants a blueberry pie :lol:
mira

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:58 am

Pie? Pie? Blueberry pie? You baking, Mira? If so, I'm eating. I've moved on from my fave blueberry coffee to a more mundane medium roast, but suddenly I'm wishing for a cup to enjoy with the conversation. :D

Lots of good berry info there. Thanks for that.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby braider » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:07 am

libby the lab wrote:Braider-TSFR, LUV and I were in chat last night. He is working lots if doubles

Thanks for that info Libby.

I use to live in Lake George Minnesota where they have an annual 'Blueberry Festival' that is a fund raiser for the township fire department.
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby flowerpower » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:53 am

Mmmm...huckleberries. Love huckleberries. Of course, we don't grow them down here-way too hot. But when we went to Glacier NP a few years ago--what a bounty! Huckleberry ice cream to die for. And one of my best meals ever was a little roadside diner, run by displaced Texans, no less, with fresh trout with a huckleberry aioli. :D :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Gatekeeper » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:32 am

mira wrote:I was trying to look up huckleberries, some of the images looks very similar to our fake blueberries also known as bilberries. Had to check, they are in the same family, Vaccinium, the wild type that is.

Here in Oregon, (wild) huckleberry patches' locations are closely guarded secrets, the kind you don't even share with close friends. Same with wild (morel and chanterelle) mushrooms.

Good Morning everyone. I've been lurking, primarily because I've not had the time to log in. Now, time to go grab some blueberries from the freezer, harvested from my garden last summer. Thank you for the reminder!

GK
Gatekeeper

Postby JeanieB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am

I'm getting hungry for blueberries, too! Sounds like they grow in many environments, but don't like it hot. I'm wondering if I have some in my freezer.........think I'll go check.......
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby Alaska61 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:02 am

Even though store bought, the blueberry muffins are delicious. Had two of them this week.

However, the blueberries here in Alaska are the cream of the crop for sure
Retired and loving every second of it
Alaska61

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:07 am

Moose wrote:Eggs. Love that name. What's the story behind it?

Nearly all our dogs have been berry pickers. Also very gentle. I loved watching as they wrapped their soft lips around each individual berry and gently pulled it into their mouths. Wild strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries. Each in its season.

Eggs was a found on the side of the road dog. Found by a vet where I was a kennel attendant, you know pooper scooper ;) :lol:

She was a dog with a wonderful attitude. Didn't need to leash her in the bath tub, clipping nails-no problem. When I walked her she would look up at me with such a sweet expression. We had signs out announcing found dog. Came the time the kennel was full with dogs boarding for the Easter vacation time. The boss said call pound give this dog to them. I went home in tears and DH said OK bring her home. She had heartworms and was being treated for that. Easter morning I found 2 colored eggs in the trash. The shells had been carefully cracked all over. Not know reason why they were in trash I peeled them and gave them to the nameless dog. Come to find out DH had called her because it was too quiet in house, she came to him with closed lips and a smile. She had 2 eggs in her mouth, she had gotten them out of the Easter basket on the table. Her name became Eggs!
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Alaska61 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Wonderful story fladogfan :)
Retired and loving every second of it
Alaska61

Postby Frozen Chosen » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Good morning from Interior Ak my Iditabuds! Gotta say, this is really a new field of front runners compared to 10-15 yrs ago...

Frozen...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk