GOOD MORNING IDITABUDS

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: GOOD MORNING IDITABUDS

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:45 pm

My Dad was from New Jersey and we visited there in the summers. One of my favorite treats was going huckleberry picking with him in the pine woods. So tasty.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby JeanieB » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Blueberries, in the mountains and valleys of western Virginia are mostly cultivated, but there are wild huckleberries in the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia. They are tiny, hard to pick, and in areas where there are lots of rattlesnakes and copperheads. My Dad and I used to pick them, and I have occasionally as an adult, but it is a lot of work! It takes a whole lot of walking and picking to get enough for a pie, but they are loaded with flavor and incredibly juicy. Makes my mouth water to think of them.
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:47 pm

I've never tried huckleberries. Must remedy that.

Last fall, I welcomed my new neighbors (he a Mainer originally/she a California girl) with hot apple crisp and whipped cream. The following week, I found a tissue paper wrapped jar of Olallieberry jam on my doorstep. Also an untasted (actually, unheard of) berry for me. From California, I'm told. Unusual taste, but good on toast.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Breeze » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:03 pm

I'n not quite sure what others call huckleberries are the same as what I've always called huckleberries. " Upta camp" ( that's downeast dialect), picking berries is almost blood sport. Maine Wild Blueberries have a silvery bloom on top of the blue. In almost every expanse of blueberry picking, there are slightly taller plants with much darker berries, and all my life they've been called huckleberries. Not a big deal, as they went right into the berry box with their cousins, and by the time they were in pie, cake, muffins, pancakes or jam, no one knew or cared they were any different.
Breeze

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:34 pm

I always thought of huckleberries as wild blueberries.
Picked some in Virginia keeping an eye out for bears and snakes.
Found some, years ago here in Florida, was walking my dog Eggs who liked them also. Taught her how to pick the ripe ones. She was very gentle with her picking, left the greens to ripen.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:49 pm

Eggs. Love that name. What's the story behind it?

Nearly all our dogs have been berry pickers. Also very gentle. I loved watching as they wrapped their soft lips around each individual berry and gently pulled it into their mouths. Wild strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries. Each in its season.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby braider » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:49 pm

TSFR... Where are you?
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:06 pm

Morning all!

So this look like old times. Aliy leading into Iditarod and martin buser behind.
I inow they arnt the real 1,2 in the race but its nice to see martin doing so well this year
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:13 am

If my memory is correct, this is the first year Martin hasn't been on my TTP list. I felt bad leaving him off. If it turns out it was a mistake, I'll celebrate hugely for him! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby libby the lab » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:44 am

Braider-TSFR, LUV and I were in chat last night. He is working lots if doubles
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk