GOOD MORNING IDITABUDS

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: GOOD MORNING IDITABUDS

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Retired is a beautiful word.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Alaska61 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:42 pm

fladogfan wrote:Retired is a beautiful word.

It sure is. Not necessarily the way it happened, but itself, yes it is indeed :)
Retired and loving every second of it
Alaska61

Postby Another UK Fan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:45 am

Love that AK61! Enjoy :D

Checking in before a busy day - can spend more time on the trail tomorrow.
Another UK Fan

Postby sc-race-fan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:32 am

Good morning all. It's 29 here this morning and to be colder tomorrow morning! The budding trees are not going to like this and the peach trees are going to take a beating so don't blame me for higher peach prices this year.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:06 am

Going to be 'cool' here today, 60s, but my orange tree is loaded with buds and should be ok. Will soon be releasing a great aroma.

Morning all.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:13 am

No sympathy for your southerners! It's 14.6 F here this morning. Still have shoveling to do from the storm Sunday night and into Monday. Only 6 inches or so, but it was heavy and wet and now it's freezing. Ugh. If anyone has them, stick your nose in some flowers for me, will ya?! :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Alaska61 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:15 am

Good morning/afternoon/?? to you all :)
Peaches and oranges??? y'all killin me! lol
But no complaints...sitting here in the early morning, drinking coffee, enjoying Iditarod. Life is good! :D
Retired and loving every second of it
Alaska61

Postby flowerpower » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:23 am

I think our peaches are taking a beating too. :( :( It was 24 here at the lake this morning. Peaches were already budding out (too early) and they can't tolerate temps below 28 degrees. I know some farmers were burning hay bales to try to save them. :( :(
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Breeze » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:02 pm

For all of Maine's miserable weather, we do have native peaches. In retail, they are most often found as Organic produce just because getting to peach trees to spray even an organic oil is an iffy proposition.

The cultivar name is usually " Reliant", or is a close relative of Reliant on Reliant rootstock. Maine peaches generally do best on taller south-facing hillsides ( cold air sinks, warm air rises ). Reliant peach trees do not bloom so much on photo-period ( daylength), but with temperature. Still, some late winter temps do blast the flower buds, as sometimes happens with all tree fruits.

Truly, picking a warm ripe peach off a tree in Maine, in early fall is a special experience.
Breeze

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:50 pm

That sounds delicious Breeze. Peaches are one of my favorite fruits, especially the good ones. My friends who work farmers markets usually get the best ones from whatever state is in season in the southeast. Did you know we have peaches growing in Florida? I think the U. of Florida has been working with them and with blueberries too. After the years of the bad freezes when a lot of citrus were lost I guess The university came up with other crops for Florida to grow.

BTW there is a blueberry farm near me with you pick groves. Very tasty. The FL peaches are not as good as GA or SC or even VA for that matter, but each year they are bigger and better.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk