Campaign for Mithious and Spirit

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Campaign for Mithious and Spirit

Postby palmeralaska » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:05 pm

I feel what happened to Mithious and Spirit is just awful. The entire ordeal reflects poorly on the Iditarod and the people of Alaska. I think something should be done to right the wrong that was done to her. Here is my idea.

In these modern times of raised awareness and political correctness certain words no longer have a place in our vocabulary. Across the country words like negro, and squaw have been taken off maps and replaced with words that are not so insensitive. I think cripple is such a word.

So, I think we should campaign to the Iditarod Trail Committee and to the state of Alaska to change the name of the Cripple Checkpoint to Mithious Mountain Checkpoint, or to Spirit Hills Checkpoint or something similar to right the wrong that was done to this poor soul.
palmeralaska

Re: Campaign for Mithious and Spirit

Postby deafcat » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Your heart is totally in the right place, but I think we should get on with enjoying the race with Mith and not dwelling on this any longer.

We should certainly take up the cause of supporting differently abled people, but please, refering to Mith as a "poor soul" is just as offensive. She's a tough, accomplished woman, very bright and very, very funny. She has a million wonderful stories to tell and a couple of awful ones. She's a mother, a daughter, a friend. She's a whole person. She is not her disability.

"Cripple" is a horrible word, I agree! I would definitly support a general petition to change the name, but I'd like to know the history of the site better first. Sometimes whitewashing history does more harm than facing it.

This is just my two cents and I apologize in adavance for any offense, but I stand by my opinion: Mith deserves better than to be reduced to the lady in the wheelchair when there's so much more to her. This goes for all of us who have different abilities, which we all certainly do.
deafcat

Postby mithious » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:44 pm

Thank you dear for that kind and thoughtfull gesture :D :D :D The only change I hope to make in history is "in the future" for other service dog teams to be able to attend the race..... :D :D :D

Although I would be truly honored, those villages and their names have tremendous history behind each and every one of them....I wouldn't want to change that.....I DO appreciate the thought though.... :D :D :D and another thing I want to remind folks is that, this ISN'T about just "us" but ALL service dog teams and other abled diabled.... ;) :D :D :D

ps.....we joke about ourselves and "cripple" is one of the jokes ;) ;) ;) No biggie there.....AKjohnsong might be able to tell you a bit more about our little joke and a web site....will let him tell that story ;) :D :D :D

Thanks again though for your kind thought :D :D :D

Deafcat....no worries.... ;) this is a topic that MUST be discussed and we can still follow the race at the same time...also dear....those kind of words don't bother me.....What does is the lack of knowledge that ends up with the results that happened to me and this is not JUST about me....but ALL other abled persons ;) and yes Deafcat...I do dislike being defined by others by my disability..as we all do.... ;) but again it's a lack of knowledge that perpetuates that way of thinking by some and not people trying to be unkind....yes there are those out there that are mean...we all go through that more often than I like to admit....but again....positive and moving forward to change the problem...that's all I ask :D :D :D :D

Dialog is good ;) :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby deafcat » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:03 pm

As I said Mith, I know Palm.'s heart is in the right place and the idea was very loving. You've inspired so many to people to be active about things that matter. Officially or otherwise, Spirit Hill has already been referenced on this forum!

Welcome back! And sleep tight! The Norwegians (the differently hemisphered?) have been serving waffles in the morning!
deafcat

Postby boo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:16 pm

Mith, you sound so much like Rach....she would just as soon people referred to her as "sled dog racer" or "iditarod musher" before her name, but blind is always part of it.....
boo
boo

Postby mithious » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:22 pm

deafcat wrote:As I said Mith, I know Palm.'s heart is in the right place and the idea was very loving. You've inspired so many to people to be active about things that matter. Officially or otherwise, Spirit Hill has already been referenced on this forum!

Welcome back! And sleep tight! The Norwegians (the differently hemisphered?) have been serving waffles in the morning!

Yes Deafcat...I saw that...have cruised a bit on the forum but have much to see and read yet...I know you know dear...just didn't want you to feel bad ;) ;) :D :D :D :D

ROFHowling......differently hemisphered....my sides ache...good one.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm up for waffles :D :D :D Hope I don't over sleep.... :shock:
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Postby mithious » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:30 pm

boo wrote:Mith, you sound so much like Rach....she would just as soon people referred to her as "sled dog racer" or "iditarod musher" before her name, but blind is always part of it.....

As you know Boo...it's a constant battle to overcome and to do the things we want to do, lots of hurdles and such to overcome before getting to everything else :shock: ......It feels good to accomplish a goal after working so hard to get there....yes....sigh....that is an unfortunate side affect of lack of knowledge....I hope that this will all be turned around into something good.....He..wink...OFTEN takes those bad situations and uses them for good.... :D :D :D :D That is my hope in this situation :D :D :D

Hugs to you and Deafcat :D :D :D We are off to bed once again....haven't finished our dilli mandatory.... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

Postby Bigskymusher » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:49 am

The main problem with this will be when we are looking at the current standings board it will read like the script of a X rated movie.
In to Mithious-out of Mithious just sounds weird.
Bigskymusher

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:53 am

:oops: hee hee :oops:
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby undertaker » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:42 am

I still think somebody needs embalming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UT
undertaker

Next

Return to Mushing Talk