Jeff is Happy!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Jeff is Happy!

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Thought I'd better comment on goofy Jeff this year! Seems he is very upbeat and happy, traveling along the trail with music blasting out of his Ipod speakers and Jeff singing along to Toby Keith! Could this be his new invention this year?! American Idol hopeful? ;) :D :lol: The dogs must love it, they sure are cruisin too!
Love the pic on Jon's blog of Jeff slidin down the street/hill on his straw bale sled! :lol: Love it! He is as goofy as Martin this year!
http://iditarodblogs.com/news/2008/03/0 ... or-a-duel/

Seems Jeff relished the chance to throw back a Lanceism to Lance "Scared yet?" as he came screamin into town with his team not far behind Lance! (Lance said the same thing to King last year and it must have been a burr in his saddle until now!)To Lance's credit he laughed and didn't seem too bothered by it all :lol:

Love hearing the details like this, thanks Jon great reporting!!! :D :D
Di*

Re: Jeff is Happy!

Postby RAIMIS2 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:44 pm

I like the interaction between King and Mackey. Sounds like they're having a lot of fun competing. Sense of humor and mutual respect - gotta like that!
RAIMIS2

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:50 pm

So right Raimis2! When I think of the example of the major- leaguers in the lower 48 it is a shame that kids can't know more mushers instead! Top notch guys/gals!
Di*

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:56 pm

I agree with both of you! This is the way the "game" should be played! It's much more fun for us armchair mushers too. :mrgreen:
Heidi

Postby RAIMIS2 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:33 pm

There are people on the other forum simply not getting it...like, how dare he make jokes like that and degrade his competitor? Jeez.
...it is them not getting it and not me, right...? :?:
RAIMIS2

Postby mithious » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:37 pm

You guys are soooo right....I was so honored to meet these wonderful people....their sence of humor, strength of character, grit and determination.....yet down to earth and just every day people....you gotta LOVE em.....and respect them :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby deafcat » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:43 pm

Ithink it's a frontier survival thing: you have to be really tough and independent in the sense that you have to pull your own weight, but if it were really "each man (or woman) for himself" no-one would make it. Being decent to eachother and knowing when the humor is needed increases everyone's chances of survival. You don't have to be cuddly best-friends, but you have to be a mensch.
deafcat

Postby JeanieB » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:49 pm

Check out the IONEARTH, if I'm not behind everyone else. Jeff's and Lance's no longer transmitting! I think this is soooo funny!

I agree with you all. The humorous competative spirit is infectuous. I enjoyed meeting all in the mushing community.

JeanieB
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:00 pm

I think Jeff is very happy this year because ....... Doug Swingley is not the Race!
Wild Bill

Postby SamAtUnk » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:42 pm

Deep down, Jeff is a caring Alaskan who raises his family and is a proud man. When a reporter covers the race, they are trying to find the rivalry and bring it out to the general public. His persona is very hard to bring out. There are things that irritate him and that is reporters who do not understand the Alaska culture, who stereotype and make the Champion to be someone to beat.

On the other hand, when things don't work out.........the world looks a little different. Guys in the top five of everyone's fab 5 picks that are not in the fab 5 tend to become irritated at every motion in the race. Won't tell any stories about that.....but it happens.

Finally, I don't think that Mackey is in the driver's seat at dictating the pace of the race. When asked if he was gonna pull up the hook soon after feeding his dogs, he said no, it depends on my neighbor over there. He does need to leave before him to make it a race to the finish. I almost finished with a statement of 50 below but stopped.
SamAtUnk

Return to Mushing Talk