POT LUCK PARTY IN THE BREAKERS BAR AND GRILL

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: POT LUCK PARTY IN THE BREAKERS BAR AND GRILL

Postby Jan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Yummy!!
Jan

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:29 pm

hey.. anyone around.....hello? hello? hello? hello?

nope just an echo, and a few crumbs, think i'll look about... hmm some of dillis brownies on the table, yum yum. ahhh a pot of firey texan chilli, even better, the cheese is a bit hard but will be good sprinkled on top anyway, ooo so enchiladas wow they are good!

ahhhh some purple umbrella'd stump bumpers and even a ready mixed smyth sled sleeper. nice!

so, no ones in im gonna fix some scraps and left overs and sit and imagine the laughter from last night. sorry i couldnt make it, traveling back from our race and getting the dogs home, fed and bedded.

i'll sweep up, tidy the plates and close the door on the way out. oh by the way, someone left the top off the ketchup and its gone hard.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:03 pm

WOW !! WHO cleaned up the Breaker Bar and Grill :?: :!: :?: Boy oh boy came in here expecting to see a huge mess :!: :?: :o Oh, now I see your note T. So sorry you weren't here last night......we missed you....... I didn't make it to bed till 2:30am EDT....shoot you were probably crawling OUT of your bed at that time............ :lol: :lol: :lol: ...... 8-)

Well have fun reading some of what happened at our party. NEXT YEAR....MAYBE YOU'LL BE HERE...as in the USA .......WON'T THAT BE GREAT :lol: :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby libby the lab » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Ditto what EM said!!
I got home late from work tonight and thought I might find enough left overs for dinner but dang there were barely even crumbs for Tangles and he cleaned up. What a guy 8-)
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm

well it was the least i could do for not being able to attend. the food was great by the way.

i wonder..... should we keep the breakers bar and grill open, kinda like a club house for buds dropping in to stop by, have a beer, watch a little iditabud tv in a comfy armchair and maybe form time to time see who else pops in for a quite one?

i can see it now..... a few tables with mushing magazine on them, some iditarod calenders on the wall and race programs well leafed through. on the wall some photos in frames of past champions, smiling iditabuds with each other and a signed jon van zyle print by lance mackey. a photo of joe and nroma delia outside their cabin, a large wall hnaging poster with ALASKAN BEER sponsors of the 2007 iditarod and a gold rush style painting of a dog team coming down the steps on it. some comfy chairs, and a sofa, in the corner a standard light. a hook on the back of the door with an old arctic parka, covered in patches, left there in case its cold and someone needs to pop out side. an old wooden sled hangs from the roof upsides down with red sled bag and a gangline drapped on hooks lined out as if ready for a team.

the bar at the end of the room has an old cash register behind it, 1890's gold rush saloon style. it never has anymore than a few pennies in it as folk bring in the odd stash of beer and whisky etc and all drinks are on the house. a large glass full of purple umbrellas sit by its side. in the corner theres a large blackboard with check point times and run times. someones worked out some rest run schedules and scribbled them on a piece of paper pinned to the side underneath some moose antlers. a collection of booties hang like a christmas decoration, velcro tapping booty to booty. theres two trail markers in a cross above the bar signed by the trail breaker crew. some old dog harnesses adorn a hook on the wall next to a sign saying 'iditarod - dog X-ing'. its a warm place that echos with laughter and friendly banter. the kitchen cupboards are always stocked. a coffee pot sits on the old wood stove with a shelf full of mugs and cups above ready to pick up and fill.

a neon sign flashed cabellas! above the door, a gift from frank to the buds. a bssd school patch joins the collection of forum patches and zorro and iditasupport ones with spoaces for a few more

ahhh the good old breakers bar and grill. home of the iditabuds! welcome home!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Good idea Tangles!
And there was a little trivia in the Orlando Sentinel today.

From the... "This day in history...March 20, 1985 Libby Riddles became the first woman to win the 1,100-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, traveling from anchorage to Nome in 18 days, 20 minutes and 17 seconds.

I'll tack this clipping right over there - on the wall under Libby's photo.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:27 pm

You paint a mighty nice picture, T. Not a detail overlooked. Nice, cozy, inviting place to hang out with the 'buds. I'm fixing a coffee. Anyone else? :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Breeze » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Another nice asset of the Breakers Bar and Grill is the lane on the south side of the building that leads down to water. The stout iron railings are perfect for securing a team of dogs, a bicycle, your snowshoes, skis or snowboard. Perfect off-street parking for however long you need.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby mamamia » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Hello? Anyone Here? Oh look, the coffee's still warm and there is some Irish Cream behind the bar so I can make Mama's special coffee! :D Oh good, someone left the program from the 2012 Iditarod on the table. I think I'll just plop down in this comfy stuffed chair and put my feet up and have a bit of a read.........
mamamia

Postby mira » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Gone already? Oh well..

(Great idea T :)
mira

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk