Daylight Savings Time?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Daylight Savings Time?

Postby emwcee » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:04 am

Thanks. I'm a night person, and I LOVE Daylight savings time. I wish we had it all year long. I'm never up early in the morning anyway. And I hate it when it gets dark at 5:00 p.m. I absolutely love those long summer evenings when it stays light until after 9:00 p.m. I love being able to go for walks late at night and I love the fact that it keeps the mosquitoes away longer.

BUT I hate the "springing ahead" that we have to do in the spring. For the next week Ihave trouble sleeping when it feels earlier than it is. And I have real trouble getting up in the morning. : (

But I still wonder why they bother switching to Daylight Savings Time in Alaska? Maybe it would make a little sense in the spring, but once summer comes and it's light almost all the time, does it really matter?
emwcee

Postby tanglefoot » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:38 am

we have BST british summe time and GMT grenwich mean time which is the time zone that all others are measured from...cause you know GB is the centre of the universe hahaha.

i used to have to get up and go to school in the dark, then come home in it..not much fun!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:44 am

emwcee wrote:

But I still wonder why they bother switching to Daylight Savings Time in Alaska? Maybe it would make a little sense in the spring, but once summer comes and it's light almost all the time, does it really matter?

good point emwcee, and not all states go on DST, don't remember which don't tho. Ak has almost 12 hours of daylight now, don't they?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby emwcee » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:59 am

For a long time Indiana didn't do DST. I think it was partly because they were kind of on the border between two time zones. But now I guess they have decided to join the rest. I think it may be in all states now.
emwcee

Postby cat » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:43 am

Fairbanks 10hr. 59 min. of light
Anchorage 11hr. 12 min. of light
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Postby Breeze » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:24 am

I am SOOOOOOO NOT looking forward to setting the clocks ahead this early in the year and making my morning commute in NASTY weather IN THE DARK again!

Yes, I'm whining. I'm sorry but it is what it is.

Today the roads are running rivers of melt, huge puddles of water everywhere and "break up" is not just a generic term, but an honest assessment of what the pavement is doing. Rain is forecast for the afternoon and early evening, then a turn to colder temps and mixed precip overnight. Yummy, can't wait!!!

Breeze

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Breeze

Postby cat » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:48 am

Breeze, sounds like Anchorage right now! Had to hang up the skate skis & get out the hiking boots with vibram today. Next time out I need my cleats. What an icy, slushy mess.
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Postby braider » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:04 pm

Daylight Savings Time?

The cows don't know what time to give milk. :)
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby Breeze » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:15 pm

cat wrote:Breeze, sounds like Anchorage right now! Had to hang up the skate skis & get out the hiking boots with vibram today. Next time out I need my cleats. What an icy, slushy mess.

Cat, have you met Yaktrax?

http://yaktrax.com/products.aspx

Seriously rock for these conditions. Wish I could buy them for my car!

:?: Oh yeah, those would be chains

Breeze
Breeze

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:21 pm

My cuz in NH had a pair of these. I wondered what they were, she explained. Very good idea, like chains for your feet but a whole lot easier to put on :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk