Nulato Checkpoint #1

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Nulato Checkpoint #1

Postby Heidi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:03 pm

mamamia wrote:Yup, samATunk.

Oh yeah, duh. <Heidi smacks her forehead>

We also need to know what's for dinner.

HAHAHA! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I want eskimo ice cream for dessert! :mrgreen:
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:08 pm

mamamia wrote:Remember a couple of years ago when it was so cold and the run down the Yukon was so intense? The portage was in deep snow and we really saw what the teams were made of. Remember Dee Dee was MIA to Unk and we found out later that she had gotten off the trail into some deep snow and had a heck of a time getting back on track.

I remember that. Everyone was freezing their butts off. This year seems so weird. I'm curious to know if any past Iditarods have had temps stay this warm for so long.
Heidi

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Boy you guys sure have good memories, the years all just kinda blend together for me for the most part!
Di*

Postby mamamia » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:14 pm

There was one not too many years back that was even warmer than this one if you can believe that! If I can think hard enough I will remember it. It was warm enough for a couple of years in a row that there was even talk of changing the start date of the race to earlier in Feb. Ultimately they decided against it because of the schedule of other races. When the race turned so cold and wintery 2 years ago I was thrilled because I was begining to think we would never see a cold Iditarod again.
mamamia

Postby Heidi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks mamamia. I much prefer it be cold and blustery and wintery. This year seems like they're all on a tropical vacation with their dogs. Perhaps someone should greet the winner at the arch with a purple umbrella drink! :lol: :lol:
Heidi

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:25 pm

mithious wrote:
Di* wrote:Say Mith, I heard you got to meet Martin :D at the banquet? I'm all ears! :lol:

Huge Grin.....when we were "standing" in-line for the autographs, Martin came along and I teased him about his suit... ;) ;) :lol: :lol: I told him I had never seen him in anything else but mushing gear ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: He mumbled something...it's really loud in there...then smiled cause he knew I was teasing him :D :D :lol: :lol:

Sigh..Thanks Mith, wish I could have seen him in a suit! ;) :lol: :lol:
Di*

Postby mamamia » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Heidi, I think it was three years ago on the Southern route they had to do some really fancy trail rerouting in the Grayling Anvik area because of lack of snow. The three or so years of warm Iditarods were a bit of a drag. It is not the same without the cold and snow. It made me really sit up and take notice of the global warming issue.
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:41 pm

Perhaps someone should greet the winner at the arch with a purple umbrella drink!

:D :D :D I'll volunteer if you will help me man the blender!
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:02 pm

Well, we have Gatt and Backen into Nulato at the same time with respectable run times. Looks like they passed a few since they left behind Lanier Smyth, Baker Anderson & Buser. I suspect that bunch is resting on the trail except for Baker. He is in 18 minutes behind them with a slightly slower time.

Lance rested here 5 h 9m and King rested 4h 52m. King left Galena just over 5h behind Lance and cut that margin to 1h 43m by the time they left Nulato.

How long will this next group rest since it looks like they all ran straight through? Seavey and Geb have already been here for over 4 hours, Swenson over 3.

Remember, Gebhardt has yet to take his man 8. Last word is that he will take it at Kaltag and rest up for the portage to Unk. Remember that leg is 90 miles!

Nulato to Kaltag is 42 miles or 6-7 hours at the current speeds.
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:48 pm

A quick check of the tracker shows Backen at 0 mph on the trail but only 3 miles out of Nulato. I don't look at the tracker enought to tell you how long he's been there.

Edited because I'm contradicting myself. In one post I say Backen is in and the next I say he is not in. Time for a trail nap!
Last edited by mamamia on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamamia

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk