Nulato Checkpoint #1

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Nulato Checkpoint #1

Postby MotorWerk » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:07 am

Lance out of Galena after a 7 min rest, 14 dogs, on his way to Nulato. Going a bit slow at the moment, but I wouldn't put too much into that. May Elen be with you, Lance!
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Re: Nulato Checkpoint #1

Postby mithious » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:18 am

You know, this might not be Lance's year...although he sure has the energy :shock: I NEVER saw him stand still the whole time at the hotel.....even for the cameras..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He is living life to it's fullest, that's for sure....he said this cancer has taught him to cherish each moment because you never know.....and he's soooooo down to earth....Tonya too....just regular people not all caught up....but the energy really amazed me to watch in action :shock: :D :D :D

I tried and tried to get a good camera shot but every time I pointed the camera he was gone.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I mostly got the back of his head :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:36 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby MotorWerk » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:37 am

Jeff King is going much faster than Lance at the moment, and is now just 10 miles behind on the trail...
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby mithious » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:49 am

The only problem I see is passing with her in heat.....and no real leader for Lance's team...could be a tangle....I've had that problem myself at a race....cost me first place...I got 2nd...let's hope Jeff can "on-by" his team ok.....that girl in heat seems to make the males go brain dead :shock: :shock: ;)
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Postby MotorWerk » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:51 am

If this continues he might wanna drop that dog.
-exit body, exit mind-

MotorWerk

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:54 am

mithious wrote: that girl in heat seems to make the males go brain dead :shock: :shock: ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
and I hadn't thought about trying toget a team past her :roll: see where it could be a big problem for both teams :(
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mithious » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:56 am

MotorWerk wrote:If this continues he might wanna drop that dog.

I bet he does, she must be important for him to not have already done that :shock: :(
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

Postby tilstede » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:14 am

Galena to Nulato
by Donald Bowers, Jr.

Quick Overview
This leg is all on the Yukon River and normally presents no real problems. It is a major snowmachine highway maintained by the locals and is well used all winter. Plan on four to six hours for this run. It can be cold, as can all river runs, and all the usual river hazards can be present, including overflow, rough ice, and open water. When the wind blows, the trail can become obscured very quickly, but it should be well marked. The trail can swing back and forth across the river several times on this leg to cut across bends.

Leaving Galena the river runs generally west. Fifteen miles from Galena the trail passes the fishing camp at Bishop Rock, a prominent landmark on the north bank of the river. Ten miles later it passes the mouth of the Koyukuk River, a major tributary, flowing in from the north, with the village of Koyukuk on the northwest bank. Five miles past Koyukuk the river swings south and the right bank becomes a low range of mountains rising to a thousand feet above the river. Nulato is eleven miles past the big bend to the south, on the right (west) bank.
tilstede

Postby tanglefoot » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:09 am

lance has speed up 6mph ! yipee go lance
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Next

Return to Mushing Talk