"Mith & Spirit in Alaska - Continued"

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

"Mith & Spirit in Alaska - Continued"

Postby akjohnsong » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Mith, It is great to see someone so excited about something like this. I have been to the ceremonial start, but have never made it to the restart. I have included some basic information regarding transportation in Anchorage. I am checking on the shuttle to the restart situation - they should get back to me in the next day or so there. In years past, they have dropped off way up by the highway and it has been a bit of a hike to get down to the restart. Supposedly they are going to at least have a handicapped access section cordoned off closer to the restart, but I will push them on this when I talk with them again ;-) . You are more than welcome to ask any questions any time and I will actually try keep up with you! What a great trip you have coming up and any info you need help running down, I am more than willing to see what I can find to try and help out. Just let me know, Greg.

Anchorage Information

Access Alaska
http://www.accessalaska.org/
1-800-770-4488
These guys are the best – they have been helping people out for a long time. I called to let them know I was gong to post their info and they said, “Great, we are always willing to help people out.”

Anchorage People Mover System
http://www.muni.org/transit1/
This is the Anchorage public transit system. All People Mover busses are wheelchair-accessible.

Anchorage Checker Cab

907-274-3333
They say they have a wheelchair-accessible cab on the road almost all the time. From personal experience in Anchorage, I suggest making sure the handicap-accessible cab will be running for your return before you get in to go anywhere.
akjohnsong

Skype ID: akjohnsong

Re: "Mith & Spirit in Alaska - Continued"

Postby mithious » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:32 pm

Greg,

Thank you soooo much for posting this...I was looking around...wow, haven't even seen 1/16 of all the info...had to back out and come post a huge

Thank you Greg

Hey everyone...it's for more than just me...I think some of you all would find some great help here!!!! :D :D :D Especially those of you going to Alaska for the start, that might need that extra little bit of help ;) :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby MotorWerk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:13 am

:twisted: Envy! :twisted:

Mith, maybe you could recap your plans, route etc. ? Will you be going to some of the more remote CPs?
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby dilli » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:05 am

(((Greg))) .. You' and John are da Bomb! Thanks for all the REALLY useful info, help and support you've given to Mith ..

Whoohoo!!! .. transportation options and pre-departure logistics preparations are looking pretty darned ducky, Mith !!

Look out Anchorage .. the Iditabuddy lean green bean mushing machine is prepping her drop bags.
Welcome to the 2008 Imitharod!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We've got treats
dilli

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 am

love the imitharod idea dilli! hee hee
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby akjohnsong » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:18 am

Like Mith said, there is lots of help (or just opinions) available to anyone who is coming up for the race. If you are going to be at the start in Anchorage, make sure to look for our Student Broadcasting Team.
akjohnsong

Skype ID: akjohnsong

Postby mithious » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:11 pm

I'll be looking :D :D I already told John if he hears someone yelling Hi John and kids it's Mith....just to wave if they're too busy to talk :D :D :D Sounds like their schedule is VERY packed :shock:

I hope I can pull the TEAM away ,just for a sec, to get a couple of pictures together? I sure don't want to get in their way though!!!!! ;)
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Postby Johncn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Mith,

We'll hook you up with the kids for sure. Only a matter of when and where. You can count on it!

Maybe the SBT kids can interview you about following the race from fan's perspective, and how that has changed since you've been an IditaFan :mrgreen:

There is a forum at the bottom of the page for getting directly in touch with the students who will be going. We just got the list finalized today, and will be giving the lucky ones the word.

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby mithious » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:43 pm

Oh John, thank you sooo much, sure appreciate it, ESPECIALLY with your schedule :shock: :D :D :D Happy Dance :D :D :D :D

Of course...would be honored to do an interview for the kids...you all have given soooo much to all of us!!! :D :D :D :D

I hope all the details worked out ok for the kids?!!!!!!

See you all in Alaska whooppiieeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

Postby cat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:09 pm

For Mith, does anyone know if the Wasilla shuttles will be the First Student buses, and if any of them will be First Student handicapped, wheelchair lift buses, since First Student does have them? I have tried to get answers about that for Mith via Iditarod committee, but haven't heard back.

This place charges @ $100 RT Anchorage & has VIP parking (whatever the heck that means):
AK Timberwolf Tours/Limo/transportation
Ak TimberWolf Tours offer Both Day tours/Half day tours during the Iditarod. We offer transportation from Hotels to the Musher Banquet and return to Millennium, Capt. Cook, Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton hotels. Restart and Official race start transportation with tour stop at Eklutna Village, Iditarod Headquarters for shopping, photos, and viewing the film on Iditarod. We Have VIP parking that insure no long 2+ mile hikes to from the parking lot. We are an Alaska Native owned Company and Proud to serve your needs !!
t-wolf@alaskatimberwolftours.com

There has to be handicapped access dropoff/parking at the restart in Willow. Does anyone know about handicapped accessibility on the restart field?

Gracias!
cat
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Next

Return to Mushing Talk