ALOHA

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

ALOHA

Postby boo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Instead of putting this stuff on the 'helo crash' thread, thot I'd start a new one. Just got back in from snorkling again, and are headed to the store.....I'm in search of the pink item, then the lava quest tonight. Tangles would need an Iditarod patch ON that shirt for the whole effect....kind of like Martin's attire with a twist. :)
boo
boo

Re: ALOHA

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:06 pm

OOHHH Lava Quest, that sounds really neat Boo!

And yes get a shirt the pinker the better ;) :lol:
Di*

Postby boo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:23 pm

They didn't have any pink, purple or orange men's shirts. So I got fabric that is bright orange with Diamond head, palm trees.....so I'll make Tangles a Hawaii shirt....and try to get an Irod patch to stitch on the pocket front!!! :) How's that sound?
boo
boo

Postby mithious » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:49 pm

When I got to my hotel room, there was a box sitting on the bottom of my bed....from cat's students and also a box and card from the Idtidabuddies...Fairy Tale Brownies :D :D :D In it was little trinkets from the race and such...one was an Iditarod patch...I can donate that if you want? :D :D :D

Thanks cat and all you guys for the surprises :D :D :D :D

Certainly made my day after the stuggle to just get to Alaska ;) :D :D :D

In the card it said the brownies were for the SBT kids and for Lance, and for Spirit to bribe for booties ;) :lol: :D :D :D

There were soooo many nice things, like a scarf from one of the dogs, a bootie, Susan's collector card, and ITC patch...lots of little goodies...I had a great time looking through the little bags and finding all the surprises...cat had the kids decorate the outside of the box with cut out mushers, dogs, trail map, doglsed ect.....cat told me one of the kids said, " I'm going to color this dogs booties pink for her." Awwwwwww how adorable is that :shock: :D :D :D The kids colored and pasted all the dogs and such on the card board box....it was soooo sweet!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:52 pm

You sound like an angel boo ;) :) can you see it in a few years, all of tangles handlers, and groopies too, wearing the same shirts over their cold weather gear :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey mith, have a good nap?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mithious » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Yes FDF thank you :D :D :D I didn't bother with the new alarm clock....too tired....wayyyyyyy over slept ;)

What a great idea....TEAM tangles fans and handlers all in pink :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Boo...hope you're having a great time :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby luvmy4huskiesn1mal » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:25 pm

That's a great idea Boo!! Just remember where you got that fabric since all of us who are going to handle for Tangles rookie run will need a shirt . :D
Hope you found some "glow".
luvmy4huskiesn1mal

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Hey Tangles, this whole idea is sure gaining momentum!! :lol:
Di*

Postby boo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:17 am

Well, we sure did find the GLOW!!!! Us and about 10,000 other people tonight. We had to park over 2 miles from the entrance, which was another 2.2 miles to the lava....but it was so worth it!!! I don't have the ability to post pictures here because I don't have my website editor program on this laptop, but we got there at dusk and it was pitch dark when we got to the lava. AMAZING!!!! I could email them to someone if they could post them....anyway, long hard fun day. But we need a couple to travel with that is about 10-15 years younger and also empty-nesters or DINKS. I actually think our buddies plan to do nothing tomorrow, and Mike ran 3 miles back to get the car so they didn't have to walk the whole way back. Otherwise she was going to collapse on the pavement.

The lava was oozing oh so slowly at the leading edge and consuming some trees and brush in another area. Plus there was glowing areas further up the hill, too. A lady at the orchid place said the one (volcano) up top that hasn't done anything since 1982 is now belching smoke and there is lots of seismic activity.....we drove through some 'volcano breath'. PEW.

If we are going to make these bright orange Iditaloha shirts to handle for Tangles and be his entourage, we'll have to come back to the Walmart in Kona to get fabric. Bummer....but someone will have to....I call dibs. :)

Mike says I CAN post pictures, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. It is midnight, which with daylight savings, is now 3 am back home, not 2 am. Good thing we are flying the red-eye home Thurs. morning....we'll be so messed up we won't notice that we sprang ahead....which, by the way, I detest. :roll:
boo
boo

Postby Heidi » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:30 am

I'm so glad you got to see the lava! Yeah I'd heard they'd bulldozed a new road to a new viewing point, so I figured there'd be a billion people out there all trying to see it. I like to hike out there during the day, but it's cool to go at night too because it's all lit up like you said. Did you pass by Kilauea Lodge & Restaurant in Volcano? I love that restaurant. Usually we stay in Hilo or Kona, but the last time we went to the BI we wanted to do some serious hiking in the park so we stayed in Volcano the entire time.

Are you back in Kona now? What are your plans for tomorrow? Aloha! Have a mai tai for me!

Btw, we're DINKS. :)

Here's my favorite BI website: http://www.konaweb.com/
Scroll all the way down to see the webcam picture. Hey, if you tell us when you'll be there (in front of the cam in Kona) you can stand and wave at us! :D
Heidi

Next

Return to Mushing Talk