ALOHA

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ALOHA

Postby boo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:41 am

We got back to Kona at midnight. Think we're going to run up to the open air market and then hit the water for some snorkeling. The PLAN is to sea kayak across the bay to Captain Cooks Monday for snorkeling and get air for diving at Place of Refuge Tuesday. She won't have to paddle much on the sea kayak excursion and she never planned to dive at all. We haven't vacationed together since our boys (all five of them--our two and their three) were in high school and we were living in Anchorage. They both have aged much faster than we have for some reason, even tho neither of them is particularily overweight. I'd put their 'functioning age' somewhere between 60-65 and they are in their early 50's. Quite a shock.....I remember them being up for EVERYTHING....now, not so much.

So Heidi, you are DINKS, huh? Would we have our heads together about dogs and Irod the whole time? :) And your husband would be OK with that or even participate? At least part of the time, that would be nice. That is the other thing....Mike and I are closely following the race, talking about it and they don't really understand it....or seem to want to. They've had 8 grandkids born in the last 5 years and little kids are like a MAGNET to her....she will cross a busy highway to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger's child. Seems pretty weird to me. Oh well. Our lives are for sure headed in completely different directions, so I'm glad we got to do this last vacation with them before the gap is insurmountable. It is really really sad to us, tho....we had babies together, our husbands worked together for 17 years in a corporate environment as engineers before we left the safety of that and started our own corporation and went self-employed. We used to backpack with all 5 boys for a week at a time, we certified diving with them in '92....we have tons of history. And I think the history will be the best part. Since we've vacationed together so much in the past, it didn't even occur to me that this sort of thing would happen. He's the same sharp guy but her..... :cry: :cry: :cry:
boo
boo

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk