Kaltag cp. #1

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Kaltag cp. #1

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:31 am

thanks for that. I guess I'm a little too tired to look that closely. I'm glad the ITC is figuring this out correctly.
mamamia

Postby mira » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:33 am

No problem..

It's sunday afternoon here.. could as well use my brain a little bit :)
mira

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:36 am

We have Lanier, Seavey and Swenson arriving at the cp one right after another although from their run times it doesn't look like they were running together. Seavey left Nulato in 3rd after almost 6h rest at that cp and has dropped to 9th. the stat line doesn't have his # of dogs listed so I'm wondering about dog trouble. Swenson rested 8h at Nulato and has posted the fastest time yet into Nulato and a blistering 8mph.
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:40 am

Gebhardt has gone straight through Kaltag after taking his man 8 in Nulato catapulting him from 9th place into 3rd. He is 2h behind King on paper and will need to stop and rest making it more like 6. Bless his heart! He is not giving in to adversity. What was it they said about him on II? That he has the heart of a Lion.
mamamia

Postby Moose » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:51 am

His speed from Nulato was faster, too. I see they've credited him with a man-8. Did he not receive the proper credit earlier and they recorded it later, or did he 8 somewhere in the interim? And Ken Anderson hasn't 8'd yet? Maybe I've got the two confused?

Also wanted to add that it's awesome to see competitors like King and Iten still waltzing with all the dogs they brought to the dance.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:56 am

He talked about taking his 8 at Kaltag but it looks like he changed his mind and took his 8 at Nulato.
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:57 am

There was confusion earlier about did or didn't he 8 at Ruby because he snuck out of the cp. :lol:
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:42 am

I borrowed this from the Team Norway thread where tilsetde was kind enough to translate a story from Hurdal. (thanks T.) It seems that Mitch does indeed have dog trouble.

Mitch Seavey arrived with a "pjuskete**" team of 9 dogs at 05.53. After leaving previous cp, he actually turned around back to Nulato to rest some more and drop 2 dogs. Kjetil asked him on the leg what he was doing, and got the answer that Seavey had trouble with holding the team together and that the dogs needed more rest. Among the 10 first teams, Seavey were there slowest in to Kaltag.
[**Note: "pjuskete" is norwagian word often used to describe newborn chicken, still not dried up after leaving the egg.]
mamamia

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:43 pm

[quote="Moose"]His speed from Nulato was faster, too. I see they've credited him with a man-8. Did he not receive the proper credit earlier and they recorded it later, or did he 8 somewhere in the interim? And Ken Anderson hasn't 8'd yet? Maybe I've got the two confused?

Also wanted to add that it's awesome to see competitors like King and Iten still waltzing with all the dogs they brought to the dance.[/quote]

In the All-Alaska they can't drop any dogs. Have to finish with dogs that started. Seems important to practice very good care of pups on trail.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:49 pm

fdf, I've wondered how that was going to work but haven't had a chance to read their rules. What will they do if they have a sick or injured dog? Will it cause them to scratch?
mamamia

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk