ROTY

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ROTY

Postby aren » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:24 am

mithious wrote:
tilstede wrote:Rohn is down to 7 dogs now. Might still be a ROTY ... later ... if he is forced to quit.

Think his age is to his disadvantage.

Rohn's dogs got the doggie flu...that's why he has been dropping dogs like crazy......just a bit of bad luck and traveling in the middle of the pack.....he will be fine as long as those 8 pups running are still healthy.......

I read in one of the mushers homepages that there has been quite a nasty dog flue going along trail this year. I have been wondering (but havn't got around to ask the qestion here on the forum) if this is the reason why many teams had to drop so many dogs early in the race.
Can you mith, or anyone else confirm if this is the case or not :?: :?:
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:56 am

There's often some bug that moves through the dogs. I'm not aware if anyone ever identifies what or what strain, but it frequently happens in races, dog shows, any place where dogs congregate. This year I read DeeDee's team was affected and Kjetil's, I believe, among others, but it seems to hit some teams harder than others. The mushers all carry dog meds in their bags to address bugs, injuries, etc.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby cat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:42 pm

Go Melissa! The youngest female ROY!
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Postby Johncn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:56 pm

The live broadcast on in a few minutes (see announcement thread) has interviews with Melissa Owens and Rohn Buser. The kids missed William K however.

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:51 pm

William Kleedehn is out of Koyuk, leaving Melissa behind. :( Rohn is still somewhere along the trail into Koyuk. Could mean anything. ;)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk