ROTY

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

ROTY

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:08 am

I thought I would start this to track Rohn & Bill Kleedehn. When we last left our two intrepid rookies they were out of Galena only a few minutes apart (Rohn out first). Rohn had 7+ hours of rest and Bill had just taken his man 8. Rohn seems to be having dog troubles as he dropped another dog in Galena leaving with only 9. Bill had 12.

They are now showing into Nulato with Bill 33 min ahead. While Rohn posted a reasonable time for this leg (7h 8m & 7.29mph) Bills was very competative, 6h 18m & 8.25mph. The only musher faster than Bill on this leg (so far) was Cym Smyth at 8.60mph.
mamamia

Re: ROTY

Postby deafcat » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:00 am

I was wondering about Rohn's dogs last night. Are they sick? He doesn't have many left to spare....
deafcat

Postby mithious » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:39 am

Hmmmm Rohn only has 9 dogs left? good thing they are nearing the coast....maybe he can keep going if he can keep the dogs he has left? Sounds like the two are battling it out for ROTY......I love these races within the race :D :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby Di* » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:41 am

In my opinion Kleedehn has the upper hand, he's a seasoned Quest competitor and this is Rohn's first 1,000 miler!
I was gonna put Kleedehn in my top ten but didn't figure all the stars would align so well for him his first year!
My heart wants Rohn to win ROTY honors though, would be so cool if he could pull it off....maybe this will fuel a desire to return next year! ;)
Di*

Postby deafcat » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:47 am

Rohn is certainly the sentimental favorite, but Kleedehn seems really consistant. Even if Rohn's remaining dogs aren't sick he can't afford an injury or a miscalculation... even so, it's been an impressive first race!
deafcat

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Well the rookies have left the checkpoint of Nulato. Bill was out first after 5h18m rest and rohn followed 1h 19m later after 6h 4m rest. At this point with Rohn down to 9 dogs I believe his goal is simply to finish the race. He has run a good race but the dog problems that can strike any musher at random (ask Mitch Seavey) seem to have gotten to him this year. It would be nice if he could get ROTY (I appreciate that even though I picked Bill).
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:47 pm

Both are showing into Kaltag 2 hrs apart (Bill in the lead) Rohn is posting respectable times but Bill is running faster than most of the mushers that have checked into the past two checkpoints... maybe more. He is really showing his racing pedigree. If you get a chance, go to his website and look at his race history. It is pretty impressive.

Here's hoping that Rohn can hold on to those 9 dogs into Nome.
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:54 pm

William Kleedehn's website:

http://www.yukonexplorer.com/
mamamia

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:01 pm

i hate to ask, but what does ROTY mean?
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby jonnybegood » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Rookie Of The Year. There is an award for the highest placing rookie. A rookie is someone on their first Irod. JBG
jonnybegood

Next

Return to Mushing Talk