ROTY

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ROTY

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:14 pm

doy! why didn't i pick up on that! thanks....now i've gotten this out of the way, as my idiot question for the week, nothing worse should happen! ^o^
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby Breeze » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:08 am

Well, lookie lookie, Melissa Owens wants a shot at ROTY, too. WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!

Breeze
Breeze

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:31 pm

How cool! Its a race!
mamamia

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:20 pm

And it looks like she'll give Kleedehn a run for his money. She popped into Unk at 8:40, rested for 8, and moved out at 4:39. Kleedehn came in 20 minutes after she did, rested for 6 hours, and left ahead of her, just after 3:00. His speed into Unk was a notch above hers, but that extra two hours of rest much punch her speed up a bit. We've got a new race for ROTY.

I didn't see until a few minutes ago that Rohn has dropped half his team. There has to be a story there, or at least some information that I've missed. Can anyone bring me up to speed?
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Skip95 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:38 pm

I haven't heard about Rohn's team. I picked him for ROTY and am a little bummed. However, looking back at the stats, he was really "humpin' it" those first couple of days. Not only was he going full-out right off the bat, but it looks like (just my guess) that he was already cutting rest to try to keep up. My guess is that he went out of the gate too fast, started losing dogs, and still tried to keep up which made more dogs drop quicker. Just my guess, might be completely wrong. Hope he and the rest of the dogs are okay and that he comes into Nome in one piece. That'll be neat to see his dad give him a big hug. If I were Martin, I'd be as proud as can be. I'd also be relieved that my kid didn't kick my tail right off the bat. ;)

E
Skip95

Postby tilstede » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:09 am

Rohn is down to 7 dogs now. Might still be a ROTY ... later ... if he is forced to quit.

Think his age is to his disadvantage.
tilstede

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:35 am

You could well be right, Tilstede. Several times Rohn and/or Martin stressed that Rohn was driving the "B" team, not the puppy team. He sure went out fast and hard. Without pretending to know him, perhaps youthful exuberance has worked against him this year. He's also said this is a one-time event for him. Hopefully he'll change his mind. But did that cause him to push a little harder than he might have otherwise? I wonder how helpful Martin has been to him during the race. Is he offering fatherly advice in one form or another, or is he focused on his own race?

In any event, Go Busers!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Di* » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:42 am

I haven't checked the full list of race stats in a while, where is Rohn at(placement) now? How Melissa?
Di*

Postby mithious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:08 am

tilstede wrote:Rohn is down to 7 dogs now. Might still be a ROTY ... later ... if he is forced to quit.

Think his age is to his disadvantage.

Rohn's dogs got the doggie flu...that's why he has been dropping dogs like crazy......just a bit of bad luck and traveling in the middle of the pack.....he will be fine as long as those 8 pups running are still healthy.......
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:12 am

Melissa Owens was out of Shak approx. 3.5 hours ahead of William Kleehden. He took a good rest there; she did not...though she could have rested prior to or after leaving the cp. Close ROTY race here. :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk