wanting pics of harness and sleds

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

wanting pics of harness and sleds

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:13 pm

kind of a hobby of mine is to study dog tack for various sports and work, and i would really love to know where i can good clear pics of the harness types used in the race this year, especially experimental ones, and of the sleds. because of my work with service dogs, often i have to help someone figure out a harness for their SD that will maximise the help it can give, and several times i've done takeoffs on pulka or x-back harnesses.

if anyone can steer me to sites that have good pics, or sell tack like this, i would really appreciate it!
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Re: wanting pics of harness and sleds

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Deerskin:

Have you check out the list of suppliers at Sled Dog Central? It's pretty extensive. Here's a link to their home page. Look for Equipment & Supplies in the column on the left. http://www.sleddogcentral.com/
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby tilstede » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:57 pm

You'll find photos of 10-12 different harnesses here:

http://www.nay-la-chee.net/mushing/Ny%2 ... hing07.htm
tilstede

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:06 pm

or try looking up manmat harnesses website i dont have a addy or link im afraid but loads fo gear on there and jeff king uses their harnesses....the jeff king manmat distance harness... we use manmat for our team although we do switch to some culpeppers custom made harnesses and some from, raes harness shop in anchorage during the season if the dogs change shape a little.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:24 am

those are great sites! thanks! i really like the one with the vintage tack and sleds. i have to study those, and see what i can come up with...

but one thing i don't remember seeing before is so many using harnesses with spreaders. i have to admit, that makes a lot more sense to me than the x back that i've seen for so long. unless the gangline is up higher than i usually see it, it has always seemed to me that the pull point being on the croup isn't the best use of the dog's pulling ability. but then, my experience is not with racing dogs, but with either skatejoring, pulling small loads around the house, or service dogs pulling wheelchairs
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby mithious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:38 am

Hi Deerskin :D

Try HSDM web site.....they have links and you can call them too, #'s are on their site...you can order ALL the gear you need through them.....It's not TOO pricy either......and already made with the dogs comfort and such all ready factored in...I have 2 special harnesses for Spirit through them for him pulling my wheelchair...works GREAT :D :D :D You can also order already made gear for your SD to help with blalnce issues....soooo amny things out there to choose from :D :D :D

http://www.hsdm.org
info@hsdm.org ...their e-mail

Check out their site and call or e-mail for links to web sites that sell special SD gear.... :D :D :D

Sorry I don't have the links book marked...was 4 years ago and a different puter at the time.....you will find EVERYTHING you need through them :D :D :D :D Just tell them what you are looking for...they are really really nice...tell them I reccomended you.... ;) :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:49 am

they sell the tack for their dogs to people other than their graduates? thats unusual, and would be a great help for those of us who train our own. when you have a chance, could you send me the link to the page of tack...i couldn't find it. :(
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby mithious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:56 am

You'll have to e-mail HSDM...or call....

I don't have the links anymore, new puter 4 years ago and didn't think to copy them over...

and no HSDM doen't sell the gear...they have links to websites that do...sorry I no longer have them :( ...I can get my stuff right through them as a graduate.... :D :D :D

Again, their e-mail is; info@hsdm.org they can give you the links :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Postby mithious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:19 am

I also Googled Assitance dog equiptment and got quite a list of web sites....lot's of great stuff...a little pricy though....I really like the service dog harness from HSDM that I use when in public access AND he is pulling me...I use that one ALL the time...I do have a cape...but 100 percent of the time Spirit is pullng my wheelchair...so I just throw on his pulling vest.....I really like the design of it...HSDM can tell you what company they use...I do not know.....the company they use also makes a harness for standing people to hold onto for balance issues....it's really awesome :D :D :D :D A little web searching and you can also find out, that way too, all you need for gear... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good luck and nice to see another team on here :D :D :D :D
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:31 pm

thanks for the ideas, folks! i just got a chance to look up the manmat site, and like that distance harness. anja wears a cheapie step in one from petsmart as her 'house dress', to give me something to grab onto when i need help up and things, but don't really like it or the others i've tried. for work away from home, she wears a guide harness, with a shorter handle (12 inches, compared to the more usual 18 inch), but thats not what i need here at home, so this site has possiblities! at least i would like to get the leash...its much prettier than the over the shoulder leather that i've used for years, and it would be nice to have something to 'dress up' anja with sometimes. the reflective would be an added bonus- i am uber paranoid about getting mowed down by a car at night, because i can't move fast at all now. but these are nice looking, and if they can go through this race, they have to be well made! gonna recommend them to my group, i think!
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Return to Mushing Talk