2008 Iditaward Abominominations

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: 2008 Iditaward Abominominations

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:07 pm

Not sure if these have been suggested, but how about "Funniest Post Award" and "Funniest Thread". For funniest post I nominate Mith (from the ITC Weirdness thread) and a number of people (Tangles, Eskil, etc) from the trailbreaker thread.

Also, how about a "Lifetime Achievement Award" for most informative and helpful contributions over the last 5 years for which I nominate Dilli and Mith and Mamamia. Maybe they can share it! :D There are several other people who fit the bill too.

Tangles, please check your PMs. :D
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:08 pm

Heidi wrote:I can't be on much tonight, but we need to decide a time. If we meet Sunday 3/16 at 4 pm Alaska Time (7 Central, 8 Eastern) it will be midnight in England and 1 am in Norway. Is that okay or do we need to move it back an hour or two? Tangles, Eskil, Aren and everybody overseas, please chime in. Someone also suggested we wait until the Red Lantern is in, but will anyone still be around here then???

Yes, I'm quoting myself. :P

Aren, sorry I didn't see your earlier post, I just noticed you said 4:00 Alaska Time is okay with you. Tangles and Eskil and MotorWerk and mira and everybody, what say ye? This is not so much an award thing as it is a one last 2008 Iditarod "hurrah" to just hang out and chat and have fun. :D

I'll bring some wine and cheese. Anybody wanna share some wine with me or is it all mine? :shock: :P
Heidi

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 pm

I think maybe Motorwerk is still gonna be in the mtns. and Tangles is racing on Sunday so might not make it for a late night post? I don't know, pretty hard to arrange it when everyone can be there....although it is way more fun when we have the overseas contingent present!
So guess I didn't help any, sorry Heidi, I'm game for whenever(on Sunday), just need to know what the final word is...
Di*

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Di* wrote:I think maybe Motorwerk is still gonna be in the mtns. and Tangles is racing on Sunday so might not make it for a late night post? I don't know, pretty hard to arrange it when everyone can be there....although it is way more fun when we have the overseas contingent present!
So guess I didn't help any, sorry Heidi, I'm game for whenever(on Sunday), just need to know what the final word is...

I think Tangles said he could make it as long as it was in the evening. It will be midnight for him. How about we leave it at 4 pm AT (5 PT, 6 MT, 7 CT, 8 ET, 12 Great Britain Time, 1am Norway Time) but let's have a Pre-Award cocktail hour starting an hour earlier. At 4 we immediately begin the awards without dawdling. LOL! :lol: :lol:

That is just a suggestion, but if no one voices a complaint by noon Saturday, I think we should stick with the above plan.

Tangles, check your PMs.
Heidi

Postby Jan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 pm

Looks like I might be able to make it - yay! But, what time will it be for Mountain Time?
Jan

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Jan wrote:Looks like I might be able to make it - yay! But, what time will it be for Mountain Time?

Oops, I forgot about you people in the mountains!!! :shock: :oops: :oops: Thanks Jan and sorry about that!!! :?

CORRECTION: 4:00AT, 5PT, 6MT, 7CT, 8ET, 12 Great Britain Time, 1 Norway Time)
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:51 pm

I just read back in the thread and saw that ems said they have plans at 3:30 Alaska Time, but I could've sworn Tangles said he could do something that evening. I must've misunderstood. Tangles, PM me when you get a chance...or I should say when you wake up. :D :D

Also, we can always have a 2nd Red Lantern banquet the following weekend for those who couldn't make the first.
Heidi

Postby mira » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:25 am

Heidi wrote:Aren, sorry I didn't see your earlier post, I just noticed you said 4:00 Alaska Time is okay with you. Tangles and Eskil and MotorWerk and mira and everybody, what say ye? This is not so much an award thing as it is a one last 2008 Iditarod "hurrah" to just hang out and chat and have fun. :D

I didn't bother to check it out, but as far as I remember, tilstede, MotorWerk and I are all on vacation. Although I don't know about the others I guess they are doing as we are, having a one week plus-vacation, going home when easter is finished. I'm also heading for the mountains..

So, have fun, I know you will :lol: :D
And thank you so much for all your knowledge and the friendly spirit...

Off topic:
In Norway approx. 1/5 goes on easter holiday. Thursday, friday and monday are all not working days, and wednesday is half for many. So, you get 10 days vacation with only 2.5 days free from work. The saying is that everyone goes to the mountains, which isn't true.. but quite a lot do it. So many that websites for weather forecasting issues special forecast for the mountains areas during easter
(http://www.yr.no/paske/fjellstrokene/ norwegian)
mira

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:43 am

Heidi, We haven't voted on the awards (have we?) and Tangles took care of that chore last year. If we waited until Red Lantern banquet we would have time to get list ready and vote. T's on the trail himself this weekend and will probably be pretty tired when he returns. Tho he seems to be the Energizer Bunny's brother :roll: Wonder if any of the vacationing Norwegians will be back from the mountains. And, I guess we don't know date scheduled for RL banquet? Or is it set already?

I would love to meet tomorrow for the 4pm AK time banquet. Maybe someone will be inside posting to us again ;) or do you think dogsled.com (weren't they the ones who recorded sound last year?) will do the same thing this time around? That was fun trying to hear and getting info from those that could.

I heard from someone at II, they will record some stuff and post to insider, later naturally. Doesn't help people who don't have insider, of course.

To have chat and the forum up and active would be fun.

I've been making Moravian Love Feast Buns today, I'll s-h-a-r-e ;) they're yummy in your tummy 8-) Really, thinly sliced country ham is good in them and I love them toasted with orange marmalade!
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:13 pm

fdf, I think your solution is a good one. We can still meet tomorrow at 4:00 AT to hang out in chat and postpone the awards until a later date. Maybe next Sunday? I have NO idea when the Red Lantern banquet is. Maybe whenever the last musher gets in, so that probably wouldn't work. I'll ask Tangles if next Sunday would be okay. Or if you "see" him, please ask him. :D :D
Heidi

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk