skijoring stories and questions

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

skijoring stories and questions

Postby skijorer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi all,
First thanks for the wonderful comments. I am trying to learn the stats game but I love to listen to your comments and learn the race. As far as skijoring goes words cannot describe what its like between you and your dog. I think part of the reason is because you are also working with your dog as a team (trust me you are the slow one!) I first started skijoring in 1997 in anchorage while in the army with a rescued husky mix from the pound and I had never been on cross country skies before!!! If nothing else I learned to skate ski quickly with my pup or be dragged down the trail :) That first winter we raced a few local races but we were mainly learning. I belonged to a club called NASSPA In 1998 we started racing seriously winning the first run/skijor race and that year we went on to race the North American Limited in Tok Alaska where we finished in the top 10. After 1998 we moved from racing to more long distance camp/skijoring and had many fun nights on the trail. There are three stories that stick out in my mind the most.

The first is one night in December we were on Poleline pass and skijoring silently with no headlamp under a full moon. I noticed my pup Shawna's tail go up a sure sign she is slacking and then I heard the lone howl of a wolf. I looked to my right and saw the entire pack running just above treeline with us. I got shawna stated again and the wolves while 200-300 meters above us were keeping pace with us. The male, I assume the leader came within 50 meters of the trail several times to check us out. I couldn't help but to imagine him wondering why that silly dog was luging a human all around. as we neared the top of the pass we stopped to rest and the wolves stopped to. They sniffed the air the howled and soon my husky took up the song and joined in the howling. I sat there like a visitor to awestruck to move and could not help but to feel they were beckoning her to join them. I swear at one point I felt like taking off her harness and letting her go. In what seemed like hours but was more like 30 min the leader gave a final long howl and they were gone. It was an amazing moment.

The second most memorable time I had was when I was deep into the trails around eagle river when a white out rolled in. I couldn't see my dog just 5 meters in front of me. I pulled her close and said "hike it up take me to the car" she headed down the trail and I followed along. She would stop and sniff them make a turn. The trails are a maze out there, several times I thought she had no idea where she was but followed anyway lost myself. Sure enough she brought me to the car although I didn't see the car until she veered suddenly and literally ran me into it. Smart dog!!! dumb skier :)

Lastly, late in march we were having just a fun run outside some trails by the Anchorage airport when I saw a baby moose across the trail. A sure sign of trouble because moma is close around. I reined shawna in falling to the ground to stop her. I will be darned if that moose pup didn't come up the trail till her and shawna were nose to nose. I looked around frantically for mom but she was no where to be seen. I got to my feet and no sooner than I was on my skies then the baby moose ran and Shawna followed. trust me there is no stopping a determined husky. Shawna and that moose ran side by side playfully nipping and bumping each other like kids. Hind sight being 20/20 I should have fallen again but I found myself laughing. Another 1/2 mile up the trail and there she was moma straddling the trail 200 meters forward. Needless to say I hit the ground like a rock. The baby looked at moma then looked at shawna them at me and again I swear moma looked at the baby like "no more playing with the humans" and the baby walked over to momma and they were gone.

I could go on for days but those are my favs. When I left Alaska I went on to skijor in Wi,MA,ME,and VT spreading the sport of skijoring wherever I went. In July of 2006 I finally lost my beloved friend, and partner who lived to be 15. She skijored until she was 14. It took me a long time to get over her loss but in Jan 2007 I got another pound puppy husky mix who goes by Harley, she is stubborn, hardheaded, loving and full of youth, and hitting the Minn trails with her is a challenge all over again. 2008 was are first year really skijoring and she has never ending youth !!!! I on the other hand have aged 10 years since competitively racing!!!!!!

It doesn't matter if you skijor,bikejor, rollerblade whatever its all about the dogs :) I will be happy to answer any technical questions you have about skijoring but thought this would be a good post while the leaders are resting :))

take care

ski
skijorer

Re: skijoring stories and questions

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:47 pm

Wonderful stories. Dogs take us into adventures we'd never find ourselves, don't they. Or maybe they just cause us to stop and take a moment to appreciate those adventures. It sounds like you and Shawna had a very special relationship.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby CynCyn37 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:27 pm

That is so cool! I loved your stories and I think I can get a picture of skijoring now. Thanks :lol: :lol:
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:11 am

Skijorer, I was fascinated reading your post. Thanks for sharing your stories with us. I think I would be interested in trying this sometime. :)
Heidi

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:22 am

Skijorer,
I got goose bumps reading about the wolves howling, awsome! Thanks.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Di* » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:32 am

Yea, great stories, more, more!

I hear coyotes howl a lot around here, seen wolves one night on a walk :shock: but don't think I've heard them howl....very cool!

Do you have to skate ski when skijoring? I watched some of it at a sprint race in my town and they were cruising, I had no idea they went that fast :shock:

I don't think I have good enough ski skills to go that fast but still think it would be kinda fun to try. Give me an old slow dog though! :lol:
Di*

Postby cat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:38 am

Great stories, Ski!

My dog Mr. Dog ran & hid whenever I got his new Ray's Harness out- so I gave up. But he runs with me when I skate ski. I can't imagine skating up a hill being pulled skijoring. It must be amazing!

Do you wear shorter skate skis to skijor or the same size you would use alone?
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Postby aren » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:49 am

My two kids used to do skijoring with our flat-coated retrievers. Not for races, but just for fun and training the dogs. The flatcoats are not that fast, but easy to control and really nice to work with. They all had so much fun doing it :) :)
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:30 am

Of course, on an incline, the rider has no ability to do any helfpul peddling, but on a flatter surface, such as a snow-covered lake, snowboard-joring can be fun. This is our grandson Dillon and our little Frankie.

Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby skijorer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:47 pm

All,
First thanks again for the wonderful comments, I will try to add some more funny stories but to answer a couple of quick questions (shhhh I am suppose to be working :) )

1. The number one rule in skijoring or anything is it has to be fun for the dog. To the person who has the pup that runs at the site of the harness try putting it on her/him then do whatever the puppy loves, give her a bone, play in the yard. nothing on skies, or with a lease just let her play for 2-4 months

2. The number two rule in skijoring is never use skies with metal edges (like down hill) they could cut a dog and ruin them for life

3. Have fun just like you all encouarged me anyone and I mean anyone can skijor it doesn't matter if you can see or not. Hook up your pup to a line and harness and simply double pole if you have to. Once you get to speed you find it hard to keep up !!!

4. I personally own 24 pairs of cross country skies ranging from long to short to back country, depends on the race, shorter skies for more hils longer skies for more flats. By the way all my skies came from play it again sports and I have never paid more than 40 bucks for skies. You can tune skies very easily with a good cheap iron and some wax.

5. Skate skiing is the only form of skiing that will win you races but certainly not the only way to skijor with your pup. For example if I am back country skiing I will extend her lead line from the race requirement to about 20 feet and often I will put a sled (called a pulk) but a child's plastic sled will work with all of camping equipment. The longer line lets her pull and bounce through ungroomed snow. In this type of environment I am doing traditional skiing combined with skate or whatever keeps me on my feet !!! I use the butt brake allot in the back country :)

6. Lastly, please remember fun fun fun. my favorite way to skijor this year is to take my newly adopted daughter (from china)in the sled and skate behind her. My daughter laughs for miles and Harley loves it. Then we snack on frozen ice cream and fish chunks
skijorer

Next

Return to Mushing Talk