Golovin Checkpoint #1

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Golovin Checkpoint #1

Postby txbennett » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:31 am

Jeff is running a little faster than Lance, but still four miles (40 minutes?) behind, with another BIG hill to climb into White Mountain -- where Jeff might be able to close the gap a little more

It would sure be fun to watch them race into Nome

GO TEAMS :!: :!:
txbennett

Postby Idid79 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:40 am

How accurate is GPS? Delayed? I've been reading Lance's talk and he sounds alot like his dad. ***** coached me for my run in 79...I think Lance's concession speech in Koyuk was well done and sly. This race will finish with shades of 78.
Idid79

Postby Di* » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:46 am

Idid79 wrote:...I think Lance's concession speech in Koyuk was well done and sly.

Idid79 could you tell me what Lance said? I don't remember hearing of any concession speech...?

That is pretty cool that you ran the Idit in '79! Would like to hear more about your experiences!
Di*

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:46 am

hey good to see you idid79, ....so any clues to who you are, come on you know everyone will ask or try and guess haha.

i think so too...another lance copying dad??? like father like son??? first with bib 13 on run numer 6 , then could history repeat again for the macky family with a 1 second dash to the line... think the years will help lance win over jeff, although hes super fit as well...hmmm...this is going to be exciting!!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Idid79 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:52 am

What I read is that he was content with 2nd place. Kept talking about half his team on the tug lines and the other half not pulling. These dogs of Lance's are trial hard and tough minded. I think Jeff held a little longr in Elim because he feels his team is on the edge. I could well be wrong but that's the reason we're watching. I was 18 years ole in 79. Took me over 21 days to get under the arch. I snowshoed trail back in those days. I know, I sound like an old guy now.
Idid79

Postby bourgeois_rage » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:54 am

Shaping up to be a neat ending. Go Lance, Go Jeff!
My status
bourgeois_rage

Skype ID: bourgect

Postby bourgeois_rage » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:55 am

Idid79 wrote:I was 18 years ole in 79. Took me over 21 days to get under the arch. I snowshoed trail back in those days. I know, I sound like an old guy now.

When I get home tonight, I'll have to look you up in my trail annual. :)
Last edited by bourgeois_rage on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
My status
bourgeois_rage

Skype ID: bourgect

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:57 am

idid79, did you run it with dogs and end up breaking trail?
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:58 am

idid79, would love to see any old photos if you have any
tanglefoot

Postby Idid79 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:02 am

Just broke out the shoes for a stretch between kaltag and UNK. But help me out with this...has Jeff truly closed the gap to two miles or is this just a delay?
Idid79

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk