safety checkpoint #1

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: safety checkpoint #1

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:10 pm

I agree, and hope they heal quickly. :(
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Gosh. Sorry to read this. I hope all are well.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:13 pm

Lance is on his way... GoLanceGo! :D :D
Heidi

Postby mithious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:50 pm

I hope it's no one we know....gatekeeper...please if you can...check in? I know you were headed for Nome to volunteer? I believe Frozen is already there and I see SamAUnk is on the forum....Hope everyone will be ok...this is the third aviation crash during the race :shock:
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Mith, Frozen has posted pics of he and Gatekeeper in Nome on a Pictures from Nome thread, or something like that. Not 100% positive, but I think they were taken today. Can anyone confirm that?
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:54 pm

Mith, Frozen Chosen posted pic of him with Gatekeeper in Nome. Didn't she say she was shoveling snow on Front Street earlier this week?
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:55 pm

mithious wrote:I hope it's no one we know....gatekeeper...please if you can...check in? I know you were headed for Nome to volunteer? I believe Frozen is already there and I see SamAUnk is on the forum....Hope everyone will be ok...this is the third aviation crash during the race :shock:

Gatekeeper and Frozen are already there. See the pics they've posted! :D Some Iditarod Insider people were on the plane and all walked away. Very fortunate.
Heidi

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:56 pm

HaHa Moose, you got there first :lol: and now Heidi :lol: :lol: :lol:
fladogfan

Postby mithious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:57 pm

Thank you Heidi..phewwwww it's hard to swallow when you DON'T know the people.....glad to know everyone we know is safe :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby dilli » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Re Plane Crash .. partial quote below click link to read full articel (not very long)

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_alaska/story/341961.html

Two hurt when Iditarod plane goes down outside checkpoint

The Associated Press

Published: March 11th, 2008 04:59 PM
Last Modified: March 11th, 2008 05:05 PM

Two members of a media production crew working with organizers of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race were injured Tuesday when their small plane crashed en route to a race checkpoint.

Alaska State Troopers said Tony Verano and Matt Peterson sustained non-life-threatening injuries when the Cessna 180 went down about 13 miles east of White Mountain, 77 miles from the Nome finish line. The pilot, Kenneth Moon, was not hurt. No other people were on board.

The accident occurred around 10 a.m., Iditarod officials said.

Verano and Peterson work for Versus, formerly known as the Outdoor Life Network, according to Stan Hooley, executive director of the Iditarod Trail Committee. Stamford, Conn.-based Versus is a national media partner with the Iditarod.
We've got treats
dilli

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk