I'm liking this route

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

I'm liking this route

Postby emwcee » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:25 am

I really like this route. There have been only two scratches so far and no injuries. It seems that most of the injuries occur along the Dalzell Gorge and Happy Steps. It's been cold enough for the dogs, so the mushers don't have to plan their routes to avoid "the heat of the day." And how about that Husila checkpoint? I wonder if ITC would consider moving the start to Fairbanks every year. Not sure what they would do for the southern route. Maybe there's another town they can visit in there. Would Bethel be too far? I'm just not familiar with Alaska, and it's hard to find a good map online.

The only problem that I see with this route is that perhaps it is a bit too cold. I'm worried about all the frostbitten hands.
emwcee

Return to Mushing Talk