Welcome Cabela's Forum Members, Readers and Newcomers!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Welcome Cabela's Forum Members, Readers and Newcomers!

Postby fladogfan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:44 am

Moose, TSFR,

I've often thought if gasoline can be piped from state to state why couldn't the areas that are overrun with snow/rain, and have the prospect of flooding, why couldn't their extra water be piped to areas of the country that desperately need rain ? Take care of two birds with one stone, save one area from flooding and save another area from drought.

Probably cost is one reason :( But the savings of the damage done by too much water or too little water, would that prove cost effective ??

Just pondering........ :| fdf
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:46 am

Hmm. We pipe oil. Why not water?
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:24 am

When I see every year how the Red River here in West Central Minnesota, and mostly in North Dakota floods nearly every year with devastating results, I often wonder the same thing.
How difficult can it be really? I watch this Cities of the Underworld on Discovery Channel and watch workman in NYC dig huge underground tunnels for Subway lines and such and wonder why water pipelines can't be built. They can literally bore through the earth now without tearing up whatever is on top like city streets and huge buildings and such, and if they can do that to accomodate a train, then a water pipe shouldn't prove to difficult.
Oh well, I suppose there's not enough money to be made by somebody that prevents such things huh?

Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby fladogfan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:38 am

But money could be made,by those with too much water selling to the too dry areas ( maybe not enough $$$ tho). You'd think insurance companies would be interested, if just to save them money.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:11 am

MelanieGouldFanBrian wrote:...Oh well, I suppose there's not enough money to be made by somebody that prevents such things huh?

Brian

Water is leaving Maine in bottles at a rate that's starting to ring alarms for some folks and some towns. (Think Poland Spring bottled water.) Their bottling plants are springing up all over the state. There seems to be a lot of money being made in that endeavor...with much of it, I suspect, going into the coffers of out-of-country businesses. (Think Perrier.) Some towns are concerned about their aquifers being drained. But controlling flood waters during spring run-off and the excess waters being used for irrigation elsewhere seems like it might be a different matter. Who knows?
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mira » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:14 am

MelanieGouldFanBrian wrote:When I see every year how the Red River here in West Central Minnesota, and mostly in North Dakota floods nearly every year with devastating results, I often wonder the same thing.

Aren't anything done to prevent this?

Water do travel in pipes into our houses :D

The problems with floods and other nature-driven happenings is that they tend to be different from year to year. The power of streaming water is huge (just look at canyons :) ), so it's hard to build constructions which is strong enough (I think that this is one of the reasons why power produced by waves isn't very common yet..). Anyhow, cities with roads and buildings and other human-build things do contribute to more flooding.

I do hope we get a long spring here, if it's suddenly becomes very warm in the mountains we will get some floods here too.
mira

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:45 am

I became an uncle this weekend. :D :D :D
My sis had a daughter, and she will be named Vivi.

And today is my birthday, just as you know it :D :D :D
Going to celebrate both happenings a wee bit tonight.

I did have some hopes that my sis would hold tight until today, but the little girl wanted out a day sooner.

Everything is just fine with mom, dad and the newborn.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby Di* » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:57 am

MotorWerk wrote:I became an uncle this weekend. :D :D :D
My sis had a daughter, and she will be named Vivi.

And today is my birthday, just as you know it :D :D :D
Going to celebrate both happenings a wee bit tonight.

:shock: :D How exciting Motor and congratulations to your sis!! Give little Vivi a squeeze from me, I just adore babies! :D :D

:D :D HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU MOTOR! :D :D
Di*

Postby flowerpower » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:25 am

Onkel Motor!What parties you will have! Gratulerer! :D :D :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Jan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:06 am

Happy Birthday Motor! And congrats on being a new uncle too
Jan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk