Run Verses Rest

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Run Verses Rest

Postby mamamia » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:35 am

Do you remember way back in the day when Jeff King was preaching "equal run for equal rest"? He favored a 6 hr run and a 6 hr rest and I should mention that was when he was winning. Then came the era of Swingley, Sorlie and Mackey with big moves and monster runs. Now the Seavey's are preaching that rest equals speed and that this race is won with rest as opposed to "the big move". While I don't think we will return to 6 on 6 off I do think they have a point. I do feel that in some races their may be an opportunity to make a big move but the conditions, the musher and the team have to come together just right. It is by no means a prerequisite to winning the race. In John Baker's recent win he made a big move on the Yukon but before that he had been hanging back, resting his team and had several more hours of rest on them than his competitors. The same holds true for Dallas' first win. He baffled people as he seemed to lolly gag down the Yukon resting at every checkpoint and then resting even more in Kaltag before blowing everyone away up the coast.

If you haven't read Danny Seavey's post on race strategy you should. It's good.

Just my thoughts this morning.
mamamia

Return to Mushing Talk