Anchorage: Roll Call & Recommendations

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Anchorage: Roll Call & Recommendations

Postby Johncn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:28 pm

Hello,

I know the Cabela's Forum had a thread that was similar idea. Thought I'd continue it here since they shutting off the lights over there:

Jeanie B Said: I have so far:
JeanieB - Anchorage and start
Gatekeeper - Anc, start, Skwentna, Nome
Mith - Anc. and start
Frozen Chosen - "Somewhere" and "around"
Sunhusky - Anc., book signing, start, plus
Boo???
NS - Banquet and start
Photo Girl - Where?
Marin Ohio - Where?

So, who else is out there?

Also thought it may be a good idea for those of us who know the city a bit to make some recommendations.
I'll start. Feel free to pile on, but here the first of my personal recommendations.

Best Breakfast: Snow City Cafe
(907) 272-CITY (2489)
1034 W. 4th Avenue
http://www.snowcitycafe.com/

On Fourth Avenue, and so probably a bit insane to get a table during the race weekend. They've recently expanded their seating. That might help. Great omelettes, and big serves...This place also features healthy and/or vegetarian food for lunches. My favorite? Breakfast-a-Go-Go on a bagel. Oh..and..free wireless. Can't beat that with a stick. :geek:

snow_city.gif

Regards,

Johncn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Re: Anchorage: Roll Call & Recommendations

Postby mithious » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:41 pm

Wow :shock: :D Cool and Thank you John...us lower 48ers need all the help we can get :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sounds yummie :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby cat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:53 pm

John's right.... Snow City rocks! Great lunches too- healthy food.

Another favorite of mine downtown on 4th Ave. ( 4th & A Street) is a little diner called The White Spot. The ceremonial start goes right by it, as you can see pics on their website. They hold historic status in town & have the best halibut & chips around.
Place an order & wait outside while you watch the race!

http://www.whitespotcafe.com/
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Postby cat » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:58 am

For those who bring children to the Iditarod, this interactive Iditarod theater is right downtown Anchorage on 4th Ave. & is a blast:

http://www.bearandraventheater.com/

Climb on a real dog sled for virtual dog mushing; theater with Iditarod movies with snow falling in the theater; climb on a hot air balloon to lift up above a map of Anchorage bowl; even virtual fly fishing for salmon with real rods; etc.
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:35 pm

sounds like fun can adults play too? wish i was there with you guys ...hopefully next year!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby CynCyn37 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks so much for the recs! Can't wait to visit the next time I make it to Alaska.

I'm a newbie here. I am from West Texas. We went to a Sleddog Experience last summer on a cruise and I am hooked! Hope an amateur can learn from you IditaExperts!
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby Johncn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:58 pm

Welcome, and make yourself at home!

OK...here's another recommendation.

Best Steak: Cafe Paris (local legend) or Sullivan's (chain)

Cafe Paris
417 W. 5th Avenue
(907) 277-6332
http://www.clubparisrestaurant.com/index.html

This is a small, bar looking place with a pink neon Eiffel Tower in front of it. Located on Fifth Avenue, this place was for many years the hands down winner for an Anchorage steak. Small bar in front behind heavily smoked glass, and perhaps 15 dark black boothes in the back. Many assume it is simply a bar. Nope! Great steaks. It is very likely very difficult to get reservations, as it has a loyal local following. I'd start calling early in the day if you plan to go there. Last I checked, they ONLY did same day reservations.

Sullivan's Steakhouse
320 W 5th Ave # 100
(907) 258-2882
http://www.sullivansteakhouse.com/anchorage/

Competitor Sullivans is nearly right across the street from Club Paris, and is adjoining the 5th Avenue Mall. It's a chain, but doesn't feel like it. Live jazz most nights in the lounge, and the music is often well done. Classy atmosphere, and lots of glass, dark wood. Johncn's favorite? A burger in the lounge made from the filet mignon scraps and so on...mmm...and not very expensive. The steaks are....a bit pricey. The menu in main restaurant is all ala carte. I may splurge once a year or so, but typically this place is out of my league.

Regards,

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby mithious » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Oh I'm drooling :D :lol: I have a notebook and am writing all this down as you post John...thanks soooo much....ya, maybe a burger for me ;) :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby Heidi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:37 am

Easily my favorite Anchorage restaurant: Sack's Cafe http://www.sackscafe.com/

It's not the cheapest, but the food's the best! I have eaten here several times and I haven't had a bad meal yet.
Heidi

Postby JeanieB » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:01 am

This is great, John! I'll be checking out a bunch of these. I'm looking for the best seafood restaurant, too. I can get good steak in VA, but great fresh halibut, salmon, and king crab are in my sights!

Will all who are going and wish to share, add on what adventures you are participating in, like Gwennies dinner, check-point visits, volunteering assignments, etc. That might be fun for folks who are not on the other support group to know.

I will also be flying out to Finger Lakes on Monday and Rainy Pass on Tuesday. That just came together, and I am excited beyond words!

27 degrees and calling for snow in VA!
JeanieB
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Next

Return to Mushing Talk