Iditarider Information

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Iditarider Information

Postby sassybreck » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:10 pm

I'm budgeting for the upcoming Iditarider auction. I know that for $7500, we could guarantee a position. What we are realistically looking for is the information on years past of what the winning bids are. We've got our airline and hotel purchased, we just need to bid for a musher. I couldn't find anywhere on line that shows the winning bids to get an idea of what we need to possibly be successful. $7500 just isn't in the budget. Thanks to anyone that can shed any light on this for me. Any advice would also be welcome! :D
sassybreck

Re: Iditarider Information

Postby sc-race-fan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:08 pm

I've never done it, but it has always been on my bucket list. I think you have to identify the musher you are bidding for a ride with, so I would read the bios. of those signed up, and try to pick one of the lesser know ones, i.e. not a "big name" top 10 finisher from years past, but one who has competed and finished a couple of times or more. There are quite a few who have small kennels an do it on a "shoestring" budget. Those are the ones I try to support in some small financial way, and I expect would not have a TON of folks trying to ride in their sled.. I don't believe the raised money goes to the musher, but to funding the race overhead. NOTE, this is just my take on the process, and I could be all wet. Good luck.

Oh, and don't forget to get your iditabuds patch for this year and wear it proudly. We're a friendly bunch and would love to hear your eyes on take of the race.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby sassybreck » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks for the info and tips. I'll keep you posted. I just wish I had some idea of what the auction prices go for....I suppose I'll find out in December.
sassybreck

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:05 am

Since every year I watch the auction (dreaming of the year I'll be able to afford to bid on my fave), I can give you a bit of info:

Starting bids are $500 each, and to be honest a fair number of rookies and mid-pack racers end up just that price. Not all the champions cost $7500, either--Mitch Seavey usually only goes for a few thousand, so if he's one of your favorites and you've got enough budget-space, he's worth a bid. The top-price ones are usually Aliy, Allen, John Baker, DeeDee Jonrowe, Martin, and sometimes one or 2 others.

Hope that helps....
Holly Golightly

Postby fladogfan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:39 am

sassybreck, Welcome to the forum and thanks for participating.

Holly and sc good remembering and sharing.

oops, had to edit, forgot to put the 'r' is sassybreck's name :roll:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby sassybreck » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:38 am

Thank you so much for the info! I'll keep in touch here when the bidding begins. I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know about the rookies and costs associated with the auction. The only info I was able to garner previously was that they start at $500, you can auto buy at $7,500 and that the average is around $2,000. Knowing that there are more realistic prices for some of the mushers, I'm feeling much better about being able to win one for my daughter (and with double luck, one for me too.) Sorry I hadn't responded for a while, I lost my link and couldn't find this site again! Thank you for the warm welcome to the group too! Have a wonderful weekend all...TLC
sassybreck

Postby txbennett » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:40 am

For whatever it's worth I think Karin Hendrickson might be a musher that could be acquired for a lower bid, and I think she would be a hoot to ride with. She writes real good and has some funny and harrowing stories to tell. Karin's web site: http://blueonblackdogs.com/

I'm just going on something I think I heard somewhere, and I have no direct personal information, but I think the Iditarider also gets to sit at their musher's table during the drawing for starting positions banquet.

Welcome back sassybreck
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:20 pm

I think you are correct txb about the dinner. Wouldn't that be fun.
I agree Karin would be a great musher to get a ride with.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:56 am

Holly Golightly

Postby sassybreck » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi everyone...just wanted to update you all as I promised I would. We participated in the auction for the Iditariders. Prices were around 1,000 to 2,700. For the most part, it's organized chaos. Once the bidding starts and more than one musher is up for auction, you just have to decide how much you want to spend. We researched multiple mushers so when the auction got going, we already knew who our wish list was. I'll check back when I return with what I am sure will be lots of info!!
sassybreck

Next

Return to Mushing Talk