Important rule change by ITC

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Important rule change by ITC

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Iditarod bans mushers from carrying sled dogs in trailers, and some aren't happy!!

Link from ADN

I am on the fence...comments?

tsfr
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Re: Important rule change by ITC

Postby sc-race-fan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:17 am

I think sometimes they just try to put some changes in to keep everyone guessing. I disagree with one of the stated reasons is that the musher should keep his required equipment in front of him/her. Regardless of where they carry it in the sled, they are responsible to have it with them when checking in at required checkpoints. Telling them where to carry it, is like telling them how to pack their equipment!, they should not be "hand-helded", this is an adult race. To read that they can can still have a "trailer", just not carry dogs in it, is going too far in dictating equipment use in my opinion. Remember they are allowed to change sleds during the race, and most do to a lighter "racing" style sled near the end!
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby Breeze » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm also conflicted by this new wrinkle.

I understand carrying a dog in the sled bag is not the safest , unless one has dedicated tie-downs or clip-ins for harness/line. Too many dogs have gotten loose and run for weeks without being caught.

On the other hand, I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that some expect ( just for example) they can park a dog or gangline partners in a trailer in Kaltag, make the flat portage to Unk, rest 6 hrs, swap the dogs who were trailered onto the gangline, and park another 2 in trailer to carry out until off the ice in Koyuk , go to full strength for the climb to White Mt , get another 8 hours rest, and have fresh as a daisy front end of the gangline for White Mtn to Nome.

None of it sets well. But, hey, we know how much our opinions are worth.
Breeze

Postby fladogfan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm wondering if the change is meant to make it harder for Dallas Seavey to win again? As much as I'd like to see Aly win, Dallas has months of training done using the trailer method. Sorta un-fair to wait till 4 months before the race to change a rule.

Jeff King was the one who started it. another of his many inventions.
"I wanted to get the musher's weight in the center of the ski — calling the sled runner the ski," he said. "It wasn't with the intention of carrying a dog, but it is so incredibly effective and makes the sled so much more maneuverable by putting some weight behind you."
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby txbennett » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:27 am

My uneducated guess is a major concern was to "make the race more competitive" Tail dragger sleds make the equipment more expensive and "favor" teams that have trained with them over many miles and months (years) which is also expensive as well as time consuming. Only a few top teams (such as the Seaveys and King) can get an advantage. For less well trained teams the tail dragger might indeed be more dangerous and much harder to manage. ITC needs many teams entered to increase the overall cash flow for "The Last Great Race". "Bucket list" mushers that "rent" dogs and equipment and make high-dollar donations to ITC can never be expected to master a tail dragger rig, although they would be able to afford to rent such a rig.

As always with ITC -- Follow the Money
txbennett

Postby Moose » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:49 am

Interesting conversation on Jake B's FB page. He suggested this is an "anti-Seavey" rule, though I find it hard to imagine the ITC trying to tamp down the excitement generated first by Lance's multi-win streak and now by the Seavey wins. It's also reported there that the passage of this rule change did not follow the usual channels and that the bulk of mushers weren't even aware of it until it was passed--and after sign-ups. I agree with TX in that somehow, some way this is about the green for ITC.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Di* » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:58 am

fladogfan wrote:I'm wondering if the change is meant to make it harder for Dallas Seavey to win again? As much as I'd like to see Aly win, Dallas has months of training done using the trailer method. Sorta un-fair to wait till 4 months before the race to change a rule.

Jeff King was the one who started it. another of his many inventions.
"I wanted to get the musher's weight in the center of the ski — calling the sled runner the ski," he said. "It wasn't with the intention of carrying a dog, but it is so incredibly effective and makes the sled so much more maneuverable by putting some weight behind you."

Was thinking the same thing FDF....their "reasoning" seemed pretty goofy to me but then I'm not a musher...but oh yeah King & Seavey seemed to think so too.... ;)

Seems like an attempt to "fix" something that wasn't broken? Moose & Tx make good points too...
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby dilli » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:19 am

Interesting. Dallas has secretly designed and built himself a top secret customized, modified sled that adheres to the new ITC "no hauling dogs in a trailer behind sled" rule change .
http://www.ktva.com/musher-black-top-secret-carbon-fiber-dogsled-426/
We've got treats
dilli

Postby tanglefoot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:30 am

wooaaaahhhh!

Now thats a sled! Black Hawk x Apache Stealth Sled, wonder what they will make of the rigid sled bag and in built kennel seat come stove.

pretty damn awesome.... might have to adjust my top ten!

i do wonder though, being rigid looking..... will it tip up easily and will it steer as well? how does carbon react in cold temps when it become brittle?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Heidi » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:01 am

WOAH is right!!! Will be interesting to see how it holds up in the low temperatures and snow. Kevlar is better in colder temperatures, but not sure about the carbon fiber. I have a carbon fiber bike, but it never sees temps below freezing!!

Pretty amazing though! :)
Heidi

Next

Return to Mushing Talk