Any 'Buds thinking about attending in 2018?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Any 'Buds thinking about attending in 2018?

Postby Another UK Fan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Fantastic information Holly. Thank you. Deeply appreciated.

I was going to wait until after this year's I'rod to check out on the volunteering, thinking that they will be very busy with this year's race at the moment and could do without an enquiry about 2018 right now. But I'm feeling spurred on now . . . . There was a link somewhere on the I'rod site about voluneering. Does that take you through to Joanne?

We'll be looking at hotels rather than B & Bs. It'll be a visit of a lifetime and so we want to be as near to the HQ as we can.

Once again, many thanks for such a great list of accomodation!
Another UK Fan

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:46 pm

I'm not sure if the link on the website takes you to Joanne or to another ITC person; I mention Joanne b/c she's always the one I end up talking to (she handles Banquet tickets, and that's how we first got acquainted, and then things just went from there). As I've never volunteered, I can't be 100% sure if she'd handle that or if someone else, like Cheryl or Starre, handles the volunteer side of things.

Now, I have to be flat-out honest about something: while the Millennium/Lakefront/whatever they're going to call it is *technically* race headquarters, it has a few disadvantages. It's not near anything other than the airport. It's not near downtown (and thus, it's not near the Ceremonial Start). The parking lot isn't large, and for a "bus-rat" like me, it's only served by one route (#7). And as someone who's occasionally hung out there for a few hours here and there, I can attest to the fact that not a lot really goes on there except waiting for news. Cheryl updates the standings whenever there's new info, but it's the same info that we all see on the 'Net. The ITC people are going to be too busy worrying about logistics to want to talk more than a few mins (believe me, I know first-hand). It's not inexpensive from what I've heard either--esp during race week, and toward the end everyone's starting to talk about either going to Nome or just going home.

So don't think "HQ" as such; instead, make a list of what matters most that you see/do, and then start working off of that list. Ask as many questions as you need to. Think of me as the equivalent of an experienced musher giving advice to a room full of rookies. OK, maybe that's cheesy of me to say it, but the intent is the same....
Holly Golightly

Postby fladogfan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:18 am

Holly, thank you for all this good info. It's in my dreams to go again to Alaska during the race. Including back to Nome.

Went to Nome in 2010 and yes it's expensive but I thought it was worth the price. Stayed at the Nugget Inn. Moose and Bullwinkle were in another hotel to start but it was over a bar and very noisy, fortunately they were able to get a room in the Nugget Inn too and moved over there. We were surprised any were available.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:24 am

Holly, Holly, Holly - Many thanks! Re-thinking, refining. Great info. Thanks. :)
Another UK Fan

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:26 am

FDF - thanks for the insight into Nome accomodation. I'm surprised too! Not sure if we'll try for Nome. Definitely re-working things out. :)
Another UK Fan

Postby fladogfan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Another UK Fan wrote:FDF - thanks for the insight into Nome accomodation. I'm surprised too! Not sure if we'll try for Nome. Definitely re-working things out. :)

AUK if you do go to Nome be sure to attend the banquet!
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:01 am

Having never been to Anchorage for the start and having gone to Nome once for the finish, I would definitely choose Nome again over Anchorage. I've watched the starts many times online and see it as great fun, but the real excitement is over in two days. Sure, Anchorage has much to offer as far as displays, museums, and the like for however long a person plans to stay there, but Nome is the goal. Getting to Nome is what the race is about. Interaction with every team that reached Nome was up close and personal and the excitement of teams arriving was never-ending! Mushers were accessible everywhere. You run into them in restaurants, in hotels, in the bars and on the street. The meet-and-greet was awesome, and the banquet--wow! Talk about a celebration! I volunteered in the dog lot, where I got to spend time with the "real athletes". It was an absolute highlight for me. But if I were to go again, I'd follow JeanieB's lead and volunteer everywhere. If you're considering a trip to I'rod, definitely consider Nome as your destination.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Another UK Fan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:20 am

Rookie visitor calling on experienced ones . . . . :D

Thanks so much for the information. Experience always counts much more than simple data on a print out.

Okay - thinking about Nome now. Will only be doing this once so really want to see both the start and the finish.

So how do you get to Nome from Anchorage? Yes, I know - by dog team :lol: ...... but since that option is not open to us (one can dream, however, - saluting you John Baker), I guess people fly. Where is info on that? Flight schedules, ticket costs and so on. How long is the flight? What's the travel time / mode from Nome airport to the town centre?

BTW - jsut checking a word out does 'downtown' mean 'town centre'? Got to learn the vocabulary . . . Any other words I should know?
Another UK Fan

Postby fladogfan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 am

I will certainly consider the volunteering route if I ever get to go again.
Also will attend the church that is just across the street from the Nugget Inn.

Down town is used to mean where most of the stores are located. Some places/people in the states use Up town.
Town is used even if it's a big city.

Of course as with lots of cities, the stores have moved to malls on the outskirts of the cities. When I was a little girl, in the 40s/50s, my Mother would take me shopping in Washington, D.C. to the BIG stores. Woodies (Woodward and Lothrop) was a favorite.

To get to Nome from Florida I took Alaska Airlines. Big plane to Seattle, smaller plane to Anchorage, then an even smaller plane to Nome. Took about 24 hours from waking up in Florida to arriving in Nome.

You know AUK you are making me want to go again.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:49 am

Not sure I can get DH to Nome, but we'll see. If we stay in Anchorage I don't want to have to go too far or fight traffic to see the start. I'd like to walk out and be there, as much as possible. Walking might be easier next year-I have 2 bad knees so it's hard for me to stand too long or walk too far. :roll: But, I'm thinking it's about time for replacement parts, so that might change by next year. :D I'd like to keep cost under $200 a night if possible.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk