Any 'Buds thinking about attending in 2018?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Any 'Buds thinking about attending in 2018?

Postby Another UK Fan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 am

fladogfan wrote: You know AUK you are making me want to go again.
:lol: Be great if you could do it again!

Who is planning to go 2018?

Flower
Star
Jplife (?)
Me

And you would make 5. The famous five - how about that? :D

Apologies for being a bit over-the-top - it's just very exciting. . . . and thank FDF for the vocabulary lesson. Much appreciated.
Another UK Fan

Postby flowerpower » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:35 am

After the consideration for moving the start to Fairbanks, and people's recommendations, I'm thinking Nome might be the way to go. I would hate to get there for the start and find it was moved!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:39 am

The ceremonial start would probably still be in Anchorage, then give a day for fans and teams to move to FB. I think that is how it's been done in the past.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:30 am

I would still be bummed! :evil:
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:55 pm

flowerpower wrote:I would still be bummed! :evil:

I understand flower, go all that way with plans made and reservations in place and have to change at last minute.
I planned my Nome trip around going to the Red Lantern Banquet and that was the first year it wasn't held.
I think the ITC makes everyone keep up or else drop out so they do not have to do the RL banquet.
That's just my theory ;)
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:24 pm

When you were in Nome did you rent a car, or how did you get around?
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:31 pm

flowerpower wrote:When you were in Nome did you rent a car, or how did you get around?

Taxi from the airport, and mostly walked. Though JeanieB, and the travelers2 and I paid a man to lead us on snow machines outside of Nome to see the musk oxen who live there. Very interesting and I had never been on a snow machine before! JB drove. She did good. And taxi back to airport. Nome is a small town and easy to walk to places. Of course we had a 'warm' time where the snow was melting from roofs during day and freezing to a walkers' nightmare overnight.

I would still like to go back. Volunteer like JB and moose did and attend the church that is across the street from the Nugget Inn.
fladogfan

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk