IROD restart moving to Fairbanks?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: IROD restart moving to Fairbanks?

Postby fladogfan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:44 pm

dashdel wrote:Interesting take..... https://craigmedred.news/2017/02/02/idi ... rets-snow/

part of a comment about this article;

" Willow, Alaska’s kudzu. Gotta stay on top of willow clearing or you will lose your trails to it."
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Farp » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:25 pm

I saw another portion of the story that did a better job of catching my attention. From the story:

Though the Iditarod is a federal historic trail, the Bureau of Land Management, the agency in charge, does little maintenance. The Iditarod committee has brushed a lot of trail in the past, but that costs money and the (Iditarod) is not in the best financial shape. A non-profit organization, it’s facing the same money problems other nonprofits face in Alaska’s current recession

So, the Iditarod is "not in the best of financial shape." Ha! For three years now, I have made the case that the Iditarod is caught in their own Monkey Trap by stiffing fans with their counterproductive Insider Program, stiffing sponsors by artificially reducing the fan base and stifling the marketing scope. I sent the Iditarod a lengthy email explaining why their "marketing plan" was not only flawed but counterproductive. I laid out my award winning credentials in tourism and event marketing, and I offered alternate strategic thinking.

Their response? There wasn't one. But there certainly is proof in the pudding as articulated in the quote from the article. Not in the best of financial shape with the "Last Great Race" on the planet? Ha! The race should all but market itself--and it would if the Iditarod would release its clenched fists from around the neck of the race.

In another thread here, I suggested that if one were to remove the "rad" from Iditarod, move the 'o' over between the 'i' and the 't,' the Iditarod could self-identify the bottom line to its asinine "marketing plan." I won't be bothered with the "last great race" this year. From what the article suggests, I am not alone in my thinking. (Note to Iditarod staff--want to keep me out of the race loop through your stupid Insider-only plan--don't bother--I'm no longer interested.)

Link to the original Monkey Trap where a monkey refused to let go of a cherry, allowing itself to be caught. The Iditarod still thinks they can keep a tight fist around the cherry (race) without negative consequences: http://www.spiritual-short-stories.com/ ... nkeys.html
Farp

Postby fladogfan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:38 pm

^^^^^ where is an up arrow when you need it?^^^^
fladogfan

Postby mira » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:10 am

The Fairbanks route are shown at the race map page at ITC http://iditarod.com/race-map/

http://d3r6t1k4mqz5i.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2015-iditarod-route.jpg?b4c6a1

It's too bad for Anvik and Shageluk, but I think it's good that they adjust to the needs of the mushers and dogs racing now. I don't think anyone wants a nightmare like 2014...
mira

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:34 am

Too true mira.
Still feel sorry for the villages that expect to have all those people going thru their areas.
I wonder how much of their income for a year is planned from the Iditarod race?
How much has already been spent by the town and people there?
Do they receive any monetary help from the ITC in a normal year?
Any help for a re-located race trail?

Lots of questions.
fladogfan

Postby dashdel » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:21 pm

dashdel

Postby txbennett » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Farp says above: "I sent the Iditarod a lengthy email explaining why their "marketing plan" was not only flawed but counterproductive. I laid out my award winning credentials in tourism and event marketing, and I offered alternate strategic thinking. Their response? There wasn't one."

On this forum we have been singing this song for well over a decade, with the same lack of response. I contacted each ITC Board Member as well as the ITC Senior Staff well over five years ago in writing, with a similar message as Farps, with the same lack of response that Farp received from the staff. I did get responses from two individual Board Members saying they would bring this up at their next Board meeting. Then ITC stopped publishing the minutes of their Board Meetings in any detail in an easy to access online location, shutting out their dues paying members and race fans from any access to their rationale (other than occasional rationalizations via Press Releases, such as reported by Craig). Many of our Forum members also have similar stories to tell. Finally ITC kills off our thoughts and recommendations and involvement with the frustration of never even getting a "Thank You for Sharing".

My sense is that ITC might be running low on funds, but their suppliers such as the producers of Insider and Tracking still get a large percentage of ITC's available money.

TXbennett -- still frustrated after decades of ITC membership and Ultimate Insider subscriptions, but no longer sending any of my money to ITC. I now make my contributions directly to kennels and other races. I have quite a colorful collection of t-shirts and caps and patches -- and actual communications and sincere thanks from those I now support.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Do you remember a few years ago, a young woman who really seemed to understand what the fans wanted in the way of news and info?
I'm drawing a blank on her name. She was so good and then....nothing. What happened to her?
fladogfan

Postby Farp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Don't know the lady, but I know Txbennett and others have tried to break through. I'm just another in a line. But last year was the first time that the Iditarod didn't mean anything to me. I could watch what was happening or not. The race has taken a turn since Lance's last win. It's not the "last great race" anymore. And I refuse to listen to any musher whine about not being able to rest dogs in a trailer sled.

Maybe the title now should belong to the Norway Femundslopet. Yep, "Femundslopt--the Last Great Race." Has a nice ring to it. :mrgreen:
Farp

Postby txbennett » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:48 am

Erin was the ITC Director of Communications for a couple of years, but when she started listening to, communicating with and advocating for the fans (me specifically) -- they fired her. During her tenure, at our request they broadcast the finishers banquet with no increase in Insider fee -- but it was a hand held cell phone transmission from a very loud hall. Now it is more "professionally" broadcast. During that time they also hung a camera on the burled arch so we could watch the teams come down main street at no additional charge, which is now still included.
txbennett

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk