IROD restart moving to Fairbanks?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: IROD restart moving to Fairbanks?

Postby fladogfan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:50 am

Thanks tx. Do you have any idea where she is now? Good to know she made a difference that is still felt.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby txbennett » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:54 am

Erin is still in Willow (or somewhere in the Mat-Su valley, I think) and this season she coached the high school's tennis team. I think they won the state (at least the regional) championship. She is also a marketing and communications consultant, I think.

Erin was good for us and, I think, for ITC, but her focus was not totally focused on getting money from the fans. She also focused on providing the fans with good value for their money.

IMHO (and only my personal opinion) if it doesn't put more money in Greg Heister's pocket Stan Hooley will not approve doing it. Just my personal opinion, but as an auditor I was taught to follow the money.

:mrgreen:
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:11 am

We should all "follow the money" in a lot of daily life.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Farp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Following the money is a key, and the Idiot...er,...I mean Iditarod's strategy has exposed their frantic effort to maximize profits. That's why I used the Monkey Trap metaphor--they have held onto the cherry despite what it is truly, and likely ultimately, costing them. If they developed a more sound strategy, they would not only be able to hold onto the cherry, but obtain more. They have been blinded by their own greed and hubris. By doing so they risk losing it all--just like the Monkey.

I cautioned them that among their risks is failing to build a fan base that can sustain the continued onslaughts from animal protectionist groups. A small, local fan base will likely not be able to withstand a national attack that is calculated and relentless. There are other threats, but that is a good example of why their stiffing and stifling the fan base with the idiocy of the insider program is counterproductive. I could go on, but that'll do for now.

- Farp
Farp

Postby Moose » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:40 pm

My funds are limited, so I pick a mid- to back-of-the-pack kennel to which I donate each year. Last year and again this year I donated my "Insider" subscription fee to the Quest. No more "Insider" for me.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Farp » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Moose wrote:My funds are limited, so I pick a mid- to back-of-the-pack kennel to which I donate each year. Last year and again this year I donated my "Insider" subscription fee to the Quest. No more "Insider" for me.

Good move, Moose. You're ahead of a bunch of people who still have their head up the south side of a north-bound caribou and blow their hard earned money on the asinine Insider program, assisting the Iditarod dumbo's on their march to oblivion.
Farp

Postby Farp » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:20 am

Farp wrote:Following the money is a key, and the Idiot...er,...I mean Iditarod's strategy has exposed their frantic effort to maximize profits. That's why I used the Monkey Trap metaphor--they have held onto the cherry despite what it is truly, and likely ultimately, costing them. If they developed a more sound strategy, they would not only be able to hold onto the cherry, but obtain more. They have been blinded by their own greed and hubris. By doing so they risk losing it all--just like the Monkey.

I cautioned them that among their risks is failing to build a fan base that can sustain the continued onslaughts from animal protectionist groups. A small, local fan base will likely not be able to withstand a national attack that is calculated and relentless. There are other threats, but that is a good example of why their stiffing and stifling the fan base with the idiocy of the insider program is counterproductive. I could go on, but that'll do for now.

- Farp

Haven't been in here for several years, but thought I'd drop by to say "I told you so." I posted way back then that I had written to the idiot-rod folks to tell them how I felt about their stupid "insider' strategy. I explained how they're restricting their base, trying to maximize a profit that isn't achievable with the insider strategy; and I told them they would ultimately strangle their goals.

Well, I just saw a video on the idiot-rod site where the host was lamenting that there are only 34 mushers this year. He seemed confused as to the reason for the drop. I'm not; and it's a shame, because I told the people at the idiot-rod what they were doing wrong many years ago--2017, I think. It has taken about as long as I thought.

You can search my old posts and get a better understanding of my position and background in the tourism industry. Two more points: Don't waste your money on the insider--you'll only be helping them to further restrict their market. And, remember--I told you so.

Cheers,
Farp
Farp

Postby Farp » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:08 pm

Here's one of my posts from 2017:

Postby Farp » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:25 pm

I saw another portion of the story that did a better job of catching my attention. From the story:

Though the Iditarod is a federal historic trail, the Bureau of Land Management, the agency in charge, does little maintenance. The Iditarod committee has brushed a lot of trail in the past, but that costs money and the (Iditarod) is not in the best financial shape. A non-profit organization, it’s facing the same money problems other nonprofits face in Alaska’s current recession

So, the Iditarod is "not in the best of financial shape." Ha! For three years now, I have made the case that the Iditarod is caught in their own Monkey Trap by stiffing fans with their counterproductive Insider Program, stiffing sponsors by artificially reducing the fan base and stifling the marketing scope. I sent the Iditarod a lengthy email explaining why their "marketing plan" was not only flawed but counterproductive. I laid out my award winning credentials in tourism and event marketing, and I offered alternate strategic thinking.

Their response? There wasn't one. But there certainly is proof in the pudding as articulated in the quote from the article. Not in the best of financial shape with the "Last Great Race" on the planet? Ha! The race should all but market itself--and it would if the Iditarod would release its clenched fists from around the neck of the race.

In another thread here, I suggested that if one were to remove the "arod" from Iditarod, move the 'o' over between the 'i' and the 't,' the Iditarod could self-identify the bottom line to its asinine "marketing plan." I won't be bothered with the "last great race" this year. From what the article suggests, I am not alone in my thinking. (Note to Iditarod staff--want to keep me out of the race loop through your stupid Insider-only plan--don't bother--I'm no longer interested.)

Link to the original Monkey Trap where a monkey refused to let go of a cherry, allowing itself to be caught. The Iditarod still thinks they can keep a tight fist around the cherry (race) without negative consequences: http://www.spiritual-short-stories.com/ ... nkeys.html
Farp

Postby Farp » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:04 pm

Farp wrote:Following the money is a key, and the Idiot...er,...I mean Iditarod's strategy has exposed their frantic effort to maximize profits. That's why I used the Monkey Trap metaphor--they have held onto the cherry despite what it is truly, and likely ultimately, costing them. If they developed a more sound strategy, they would not only be able to hold onto the cherry, but obtain more. They have been blinded by their own greed and hubris. By doing so they risk losing it all--just like the Monkey.

- Farp

And don't forget my warning in the above post. Most importantly this one: They have been blinded by their own greed and hubris. By doing so they risk losing it all.

P.S. And consider one more interesting side note. The diminishing fan base abetted by the insider program effects other races around it, most notably, it appears, the Yukon Quest. Now the long run in AK is 550 miles. There are 9 mushers registered. Nine. It's a shame the two great races are dwindling.
Farp

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:37 am

fladogfan wrote:Do you remember a few years ago, a young woman who really seemed to understand what the fans wanted in the way of news and info?
I'm drawing a blank on her name. She was so good and then....nothing. What happened to her?

Mia
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk